Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.boatlocal.com/controls/phpMenu.php): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 999 No Hacking in H:\root\home\boatnet-001\www\boatlocal\forums\includes\class_bootstrap.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Winterizing

Thread: Winterizing

Default Winterizing

I am generally a do it yourself-er, but I thought I'd ask before taking the next project on...

Is it common do winterize yourself, or is it something generally left to a mechanic? I have read some instructions and it seems very doable.

It is depressing to have to bring this subject up!

Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    I am generally a do it yourself-er, but I thought I'd ask before taking the next project on...

Is it common do winterize yourself, or is it something generally left to a mechanic? I have read some instructions and it seems very doable.

It is depressing to have to bring this subject up!
    Winterization is easy to do. I've been doing my own engines for 30 years and, knock on wood, no problem.

Most manuals will take you through it step by step. Not that the marinas aren't capable, but I've always felt that I paid more attention to what I own, than the guy doing lots and lots of boats.

Don't try to cut corners and you should have no issues.

The advantage to the marina doing your winterization is that if they screw it up they are responsible. My innsurance covers me if I screw up as long as I can prove I did in fact make a knowledgeable attempt.

And, true it is depressing, but there's lots of boating left.

Well, I am thinkin football is going to get in the way of m boating activities, so I might as well start thinking about wintereizing.

Thank you for starting this thread, I knew the time was coming but I didn't want to be the first to use the dirty "W" word. Since this is the end of the first season for me owning a boat, I know I need to get her winterized but I don't know where the best place to have it done is. I live in the North Hills and am currently docked at Lock Wall One. Of course the less I have to drive the better but if there is somewhere you would highly recommend, I'm flexible.

Secondly, how long does the process take (as in do I drop it off for a few days or wait while the winterizing is performed)? Also, how far in advance should I make an appointment for? Will it be a day or two before someone could get me in or is it weeks?

Lastly I have to ask about winter storage. My jet ski is great because it fits in our garage at home and I don't really have to worry much. I definitely can't afford temperature controlled storage so would it make much of a difference if I rented a standard storage unit or had her shrink wrapped and parked in the driveway? I know mold is one of the biggest enemies.

One more thought just crossed my mind, cleaning. Where can I get it professionally cleaned (I did it myself before vacation and don't want to go through that "fun" again)? Same questions as above, location, rates, time frame. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated because, as you can see, I'm pretty much clueless. Thank you.

It's very simple to do and in fact I had a marina do it two years ago (it was in for something else and since they did not use anti freeze, just drain, My thermstat housing cracked.

Run the antifreeze through you block through ear muffs, but I also drain the block first as well as remove the thermostat, but it is pretty simple on mine. Then fog the engine through the carb to shut it down.

Would suggest doing your oil change in the fall as well, put stabil and enzyme treatment in the gas tank and pull and repack you hubs.
    2013 Chaparral 206SSI

Do you all replace yout fuel water seapartor as part of the process?

I am reading some instructions and it mentions this. I didn't even know I had one.

Scratch that. I just learned that it is a type of fuel filter. My novice is showing again

Dont forget to poke drainholes out crud builds up in there, and really important now we have crappy gas dont forget stabilizer for fuel. water systems are another topic

Do you remove your outdrive and check the u-joints, bellows, and gimbal bearing? I've been reading up on winterizing and this seems to be an adopted preventive practice in a lot of cases...just seems like a lot of mystery unless you really know what you are doing (and likewise, i'm sure this is expensive if done at a local marina).

I would check and change gimbal atleast every two years or if it is singng or thumping

Pittsburgh boats on the north shore drains all water out and then runs the boat on antifreeze. v8 $149 v6 $139 4cyl $129 phone # 412-323-1010

Quote Originally Posted by ABSOLOOT FUN View Post
    Pittsburgh boats on the north shore drains all water out and then runs the boat on antifreeze. v8 $149 v6 $139 4cyl $129 phone # 412-323-1010
    Just an FYI....

The thread you just posted a reply in, was 4 years old.
    Tony

2002 Seadoo Islandia w/240EFI Sport jet
    2000 Polaris Genesis
    1996 Seadoo XP 800