Default jet skis at night?

I was told if i get the proper lighting for my jet ski. i can use it at night?

If jetski's were meant to be riden at night, don't you think they would have lights on them already?
    Putting lights on them won't help. Sorry.

Pennsylvania regulations require that PWC operators must:

Wear life jackets at all times. All passengers must also wear life jackets. Inflatable life jackets are not acceptable.
    Carry a fully charged fire extinguisher on board.
    Carry a sound-producing device on board.
    Attach the kill switch safety lanyard to clothing, body or life jacket.

Furthermore, it is illegal:

For anyone to operate a PWC without having in one’s possession a Boating Safety Education Certificate.
    To rent a PWC to anyone 15 years of age or younger. No one less than 16 years of age may operate a rented PWC.
    To operate a PWC from sunset to sunrise.
    To tow a water skier behind a PWC with a capacity of two people or fewer, and to tow more than one skier.
    For anyone 11 years of age or younger to operate a PWC.
    For anyone 12 through 15 years of age to operate a PWC with any passengers on board 15 years of age or younger.

I wonder where they draw the line though, there are jet boats and inflatables with jetski powered that have lights... obviously they are not "PWC"s I guess.

Jonny, is your jet ski dock/boat/attachment/extension/thing allowed at night?

Finished Shuttlecraft 2.jpgFinished Shuttlecraft 3.jpgFinished Shuttlecraft 4.jpgFinished Shuttlecraft 5.jpgYes my Shuttlecraft is allowed at night because it is a registered boat with lights. When the PWC is connected to the Shuttlecraft it becomes a boat.
    Last edited by Jonny M; 08-05-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Nice, are those seats in the back next to the driver on either side?? They seem high, and without railings ha. And, is that a cooler dead center? which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyJ View Post
    Nice, are those seats in the back next to the driver on either side?? They seem high, and without railings ha. And, is that a cooler dead center? which is nice.
    Yes and Yes, The seats are not that high and there isnt much danger of falling out.

I know the current rules and all, but I would think with the size of the 3 seater's now, they would have lights built in. Who wants to pay 10-15k and only be able to ride during the day. I know it opens a whole can of being more responsibility at night with the speed/maneuvers, but that becomes natural selection.

At first I was thinking they may not be included because of the size (smaller being harder to see at night for as low as they sit), but you can run a 14' o/b.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Indmar Assault 5.7L 325 HP
    "One More Hour"

Yup, those are the answers i was expecting. I can see why they wouldn't want these thing driven at night. but I thought it would be nice to have a day out and dock at the ball field, watch the game and head back to the boat launch.

Its another example of a law that was created years ago for a totally different situation.

hey im new to this owning a boat thing. But people are f-ing stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mignacca View Post
    hey im new to this owning a boat thing. But people are f-ing stupid.
    LMAO! so true
    2007 Rinker 246 cc

Smile That is my Understanding

Quote Originally Posted by Mignacca View Post
    I was told if i get the proper lighting for my jet ski. i can use it at night?
    Sir...I understand with proper lights a PWC may travel at night...In previous years I owned a 12 foot Avon Inflatable and I had suction cups lighting (properly displayed per CG) and that was legal...I recently purchased a 12 foot Yamaha Waverunner and I want to put lights on it so I can travel at night and view the universe from one of our beaches nearby...etc...

But to be sure and before I attempt to use my PWC at night I will contact the Coast Guard....

Thanks,

Robert S