Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.boatlocal.com/controls/phpMenu.php): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 999 No Hacking in H:\root\home\boatnet-001\www\boatlocal\forums\includes\class_bootstrap.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Pittsburgh to East Brady

Default Pittsburgh to East Brady

I am going on a short weekend getaway to East Brady next weekend. I know this isn't a terribly long trip, but it is something that I have wanted to do for a while now. Since I have never been that far up the Allegheny River, I was wondering where there are places for fuel, and possibly any restaurants on the river. What about any "must see" places?

There is fuel at the Spot Marina in Lock 8 pool. (port side as you are heading up river). Make sure to stay Port side (as you head upriver) when you get into Lock 7 pool near Mosgrove since it is shallow, and the same when you come out of the lock (run the middle of the river channel) toward Templeton until you get near the power plant). It is really shallow south of the boat launch to the point where people have docks. When you get to East Brady, toward the bridge on the other side (upriver) it is about 6' deep.

Follow the charts ( http://www.boatpittsburgh.com/page-n...spx#AllegChart ) and you should be ok. Upper locks (8-9 that I know of) are recreational and only open certain hours on holidays/weekends only (last year I think they were open 7 or 8 AM to 9 or 11 PM Sat, noon - 9 pm on Sunday. I think you can make special arrangements, but not sure).
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Indmar Assault 5.7L 325 HP
    "One More Hour"

We got fuel at Kitanning Marina, right next to the Mariner restaurant. We stopped there for lunch and it was great. They also have docks, although we were already tied up to Kitanning Marina (right next door) and they let us just stay there instead of moving over so we could buy ice on the way back down from lunch. Really great people there... This is above lock 7 in Kitanning, but the public docks in Kitanning (just below lock 7) also looked pretty nice and accessible to a few places if you need anything, ie Sheetz gas station etc.

Also, don't forget that there are restricted lock times after lock 4. Lock 5 is open 7 days a week but not 24 hours and locks 6,7,8 are Fri, Sat, Sun starting at 12:30. This was a concern for us because it forced us to start some days around 12 instead of early in the AM. Also, Lock 9 is only open Sat, Sun so we had to plan around that as well. More info on that is here http://www.boatpittsburgh.com/page-s...alleglocksched

Overall though, it was a great trip to do. Have fun!

It's funny, because I was going to post this exact same question, because we too we're thinking about taking that trip. How long do you reckon it will take? I'm familiar with the pool at East Brady because I grew up boating there. But I've never been anywhere in between. What day are you leaving and coming back? When you go through the last lock, Lock 9 I think, just after you exit the lock, maybe 3/4 of a mile on the starboard side is Red Bank. It's a creek that empties into the river. You can go a decent distance back into it. There is a rope swing etc back there. If you like to swim, it's the place to do it. The water is crystal clear and clean. On the weekends it's pretty packed with partying boaters. If the wife and I made the trip, our plan was to stop there and anchor over night. To my knowledge, there isn't much in the way of places to dock on Brady except the public launch, where you can use the porta potty. Or walk to the ice cream stand.

We are leaving Friday late morning/early afternoon. As of right now, there are 5 boats going. We are going to stay at the Kitanning Marina on Friday and Saturday nights. We figured that we would run to East Brady on Saturday and hit Redbank at some point during the afternoon. It should be a good time. I could be wrong, but we are figuring on about 6 hours to Kitanning on Friday. On Sunday, we won't be in too much of a hurry to get back, other than the lock schedule. Lock 7 doesn't open until 12:30 Sunday afternoon, but we plan on being there when it opens so we are not too far behind schedule.

there are also some nice islands to beach and stay the night or the party cove near kitt. if you did not want to stay at a marina.

We made it to East Brady and back in 3 days. We stayed at the Kittanning Marina Friday and Saturday nights. It was a very nice place to overnight. The owners were very nice people as well. The Allegheny Mariner restaurant is right next door to the marina. They served us two excellent dinners both nights. The trip to Kittanning took us 4 hours on Friday and the trip back on Sunday took is 5 hours. We only got caught behind one barge the entire weekend, and that was at L/D #2 on the way home. I would recommend this trip for anyone who wants to see some beautiful scenery. I would do it again in the future on Labor Day weekend so I could hit the "famous" party at Redbank.

Greg -post some photos if you get a chance. Let everyone see what they are missing up there!

Between PTCruiser and I we took around 300 photos. Here are some pictures... Inside lock 9.jpgRailroad Bridge pool 8.jpgPool 9.jpgHouse on River.jpg

nice. i haven't been through lock 9 - i'm hoping to get there Labor Day weekend.