Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.boatlocal.com/controls/phpMenu.php): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 999 No Hacking in H:\root\home\boatnet-001\www\boatlocal\forums\includes\class_bootstrap.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Cincinnati to Pittsburgh - '11

Ohio River Launch Club, Cincinnati - Ohio River marker 466.1

Default Cincinnati to Pittsburgh - '11

My wife and I are planning a trip to Pittsburgh from Cincinnati aboard our 47' Harbormaster sometime in '11. At 500 miles plus and 6-9 up-river statute miles per hour, the best we could do is about 10 days, 100 miles per day, At that rate, might as well drive!

So we are planning 3-4 weeks, and are just beginning to gather information about the trip. We understand Marietta is a must stop for a couple of days.

I assisted a friend moving his boat from St. Pete to Cincinnati, and my wife and I helped he and his wife return their boat as far as Mobile from Cincinnati, so we are not new to extened trips on the river.

Am curious as to fuel issues (my range is about 200 miles . .safely), good places to anchor out or dock, grcery stores nearby marinas, etc. I have a copy of Quimbys, but find local knowledge very useful!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Degaje; 07-30-2010 at 05:33 PM.

I am from the Parkersburg/Marietta area and I would agree that Marietta is a good place to stop. And it is the last place for fuel for a little while. I don't know where to dock overnight there though.

Check out the Marietta Brewing Company. Nice little pub.

I suggest you purchase the "Ohio River Guidebook", by Jerry Hay. http://www.riverlorian.com/ohioriver.htm

We traveled the Ohio from mm 25.5 to the Cumberland River mm 923 last year and back again this spring. The guidebook, used in conjunction with Quimby's worked very well for us. Quimby's was easier to find marina information, but the Guidebook had charts showing good anchorages as well as local history and info. I would recommend having a GPS and paper charts. If your range is 200 miles you should be OK for gasoline, but I do not know about diesel. The longest stretch we had was 120 miles between fuel stops.

We met these folks http://mcgeesadventures.blogspot.com/ in late May on the Tennessee River, they are headed to Pittsburgh, doing it slowly and seeing ALL the sights. Their blog is very entertaining and may be informative for you.

Another must stop town is Gallipolis, OH. The town has courtesy docks, but the Gallipolis Boat Club is within walking distance of downtown.

My advice: plan on 4 weeks, and longer if you can!
    1959 Chris Craft Conqueror 40' "LouAl"
    24' Pontoon "Red Solo Cup"
    Port of Fulton, MS

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far, keep it coming and thanks for the blog address, I have been searching for similar blogs with no success.

The Ohio River Guidebook is a good idea. I have browsed it online and thought it could be useful, so based on your advice I will order one.

My fuel is gasoline, so should be no problem then, though we will call our likely fuelling points and verify they are open before we leave.

Galapolis is now on the tentative stopping list

Calling ahead is a good idea, especially for fuel stops. We had a 100 mile stretch between Gallipolis and Marietta. Shawnee State Park at mm 363 is open ~~ but has no fuel, plan to stop at Shawnee Boat Club, about a mile or so upriver on the RDB.

Point Pleasant, WV just upriver and across from Gallipolis is also a great town, home of the famed "Mothman" prophecies and a gorgeous historic park called "Tu Endie Wei". Super nice city wharf, though no electric.

Be advised the first 3 locks on the Ohio are NOT floating bollard, you must have a minimum of 100' of line to lock thru. (Emsworth, Dashields, and Montgomery)
    I checked out your profile and blog, very nice. You'll enjoy the trip up the Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Degaje View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the advice so far, keep it coming and thanks for the blog address, I have been searching for similar blogs with no success.

The Ohio River Guidebook is a good idea. I have browsed it online and thought it could be useful, so based on your advice I will order one.

My fuel is gasoline, so should be no problem then, though we will call our likely fuelling points and verify they are open before we leave.

Galapolis is now on the tentative stopping list
    Port of Fulton, MS

River harbor at bridgwater is great for overnight docking. (beaver river just above Montgomery dam). I understand the now sell gas.

In Pittsburgh try lock wall 1 marina (walking distance to strip district markets and night clubs) or station square (shopping and restaurants on site). Or cheaper and more secluded is crows nest 7 miles up the allegheny from the point (still a restaurant on site). If you don't need water or shore power there's the concrete wharf in front of pnc park and Heinz field ( bring big fenders).

Gallyslave, the four locks below Montgomery all have floating pins?

Quote Originally Posted by 987meteor View Post
    Gallyslave, the four locks below Montgomery all have floating pins?
    987, the next SIXTEEN (16) locks below Montomery have floating pins..........
    Port of Fulton, MS

Quote Originally Posted by galleyslave View Post
    987, the next SIXTEEN (16) locks below Montomery have floating pins..........
    Thanks. Have never been below Montgomery but would like to soon.

Pulling my notes from this thread and an entry on PortKY.com together. The THE OHIO RIVER–Voyaging on Today’s River arrived yesterday, also ordered Ohio River Guidebook by Heron Island Guides and of course already have Quimbys. Stops up and down river, either overnight or just to see so far include:

Marietta
    Pomeroy
    Huntington
    Galapolis
    Point Pleasant
    Manchester Islands (1st day's stop from Cincinnati) - Anchor Out
    Portsmouth

Blennerhassett Island really looks like it could be a good stop, but the River Guide book said the only place you can beach is the lower channel side of the island, three miles from the museum and not a good place to leave an unattended boat due to the wakes coming ashore. Anybody have any information on a better location to beach?

Marietta is a great stop, and I believe there is a tour boat you can take from the Muskingum to Blennerhasset, the beach described is the only place to land for privately owned boats.

We did not stay and walk into Pomeroy, just stopped briefly to walk the dog, the city wharf NO LONGER has water and electricity.

Point Pleasant is a nice stop, we heard if you call the city dept of public works in advance they will hook you up with electric. The man's name is Willlie Call.

Showboat Marina in Huntington, WV sunk, and is no longer in operation.

Ripley, OH mm 417 is a pretty town. Nice marina, and some restaurants within walking distance. If 19 Main is still open, they had THE COLDEST BEER ON THE PLANET!

0719091751.jpg

Keep us informed.

Marietta
    Pomeroy
    Huntington
    Galapolis
    Point Pleasant
    Manchester Islands (1st day's stop from Cincinnati) - Anchor Out
    Portsmouth

Blennerhassett Island really looks like it could be a good stop, but the River Guide book said the only place you can beach is the lower channel side of the island, three miles from the museum and not a good place to leave an unattended boat due to the wakes coming ashore. Anybody have any information on a better location to beach?
    Port of Fulton, MS

Thanks for the updates on Huntington and Point Pleasant. We stayed in Ripley last year, however there was a motorcycle rendezvous in town and when we got there, the ones who were still in attendance should have probably gone home earlier. Anyway, it is too close to home on our outbound leg to stop, will probably anchor out 1st night at Manchester Islands. I remember being there a couple of years ago, having a nice dinner and a bottle of wine while watching a family of Beaver on shore. A short trip then to Portsmouth. Have to work out the rest of the schedule, will be watching the McGees to see what they find. From Pittsburgh, would be fun to go down the Monongahela to Morgantown and back, but that would add close to a week with all of the locks, and I read some are only open on weekends..

Have to admire the 4 McGees.....................
    And, like I said, 4 weeks and longer if you can!

Have to work out the rest of the schedule, will be watching the McGees to see what they find. From Pittsburgh, would be fun to go down the Monongahela to Morgantown and back, but that would add close to a week with all of the locks, and I read some are only open on weekends..
    Port of Fulton, MS

Have to admire the 4 McGees.....................
    And, like I said, 4 weeks and longer if you can!
    The 4 weeks or longer is the trick while also getting my work done. But I can work from virtually anywhere in the world, just interferes with the fun..

I see the McGees are heading north, tomorrow, I am heading to Louisville for a few days and then back, total trip 5 nights, 6 days. Will stay at Smugglers Cove on the way (the old Dan's Marina), and have a slip on the river in Jeffersonville. Travelling with a freind , he and his wife will be on their 40' Carver, my wife and I on the Degaje.

Tell Larry at Smugglers Cove Kenny, Carol & Napoleon from "Miss Nauti" said "Hello"! And if you go to the Sunset Grill tell Mel the barmaid hello for us too! Great marina.....clean, top notch, friendly people, we stayed there a week on the trip south, and three days on the trip home. Unbelievable sunsets, take your camera. Have a great trip!
    Port of Fulton, MS

Tell Larry at Smugglers Cove Kenny, Carol & Napoleon from "Miss Nauti" said "Hello"! And if you go to the Sunset Grill tell Mel the barmaid hello for us too! Great marina.....clean, top notch, friendly people, we stayed there a week on the trip south, and three days on the trip home. Unbelievable sunsets, take your camera. Have a great trip!
    I will tell them hello. This will be the fourth time I have stayed there, each time for a night. Will be at the Sunset Grill Friday night.