Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.boatlocal.com/controls/phpMenu.php): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 999 No Hacking in H:\root\home\boatnet-001\www\boatlocal\forums\includes\class_bootstrap.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Tenn-Tom Midway Marina to Beaver River

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tenn-Tom Midway Marina to Beaver River

We were scheduled to start the return trip last Tuesday. Fueled up and did a test ride. Had some engine issues, we replaced spark plugs and wires on the starboard engine. Then the wind started blowing (I mean days of heavy gusts, and tornados). Now the rains have come. If you've been watching the news, Tennessee is inundated and it's eventually going to drain into the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers. Consequently we have delayed at least two weeks. There are two other boats ready to leave Midway, but we're all stuck here.
    1959 Chris Craft Conqueror 40' "LouAl"
    24' Pontoon "Red Solo Cup"
    Port of Fulton, MS

Keep us updated. Have a safe trip home!

We hope to cast off Tuesday, please say a prayer the winds and the sea gods smile upon us. (tossing a bit of alcohol off your boat while doing this won't PO the gods, .......not one little bit..)

If home's where my heart is, then I'm out of place...............
    Port of Fulton, MS

We wish you guys safe and happy travels. Please keep us posted as you make your progress back to the Beaver. We look forward to seing you this summer!

Default Ship's Log Midway to Beaver

Day 1 May 18 55 miles

We left mm 394 Midway Marina at 09:00 hrs traveled the Tenn-Tom thru 3 locks, had a bit of a wait at John Rankin lock while a tow was locked thru and arrived at mm 449.7 Grand Harbor Marina at Pickwick at 17:00 hrs.

The Tenn-Tom http://www.tenntom.org/MAINPAGES/ttwhome.html is comprised of several sections, the "Divide Cut" which is a marvel of engineering although not very scenic, the "Canal Section" which is a series of lakes and the "River Section" which is further south than we traveled. Check out that website and look for the link to "About TTW" then click on the "History" tab, about 3/4 down the page on the left there is a photo of a tow entering the Jamie Whitten Lock, that photo will give you an idea of the enormous size of the lock chamber, and it's a very informative site.

When we entered the Tennessee River on Pickwick Lake the scenery became spectacular, the homes along the lake are gorgeous. We stayed at Grand Harbor Marina on Pickwick http://www.gograndharbor.com/ Met a few fellows who were crewing an 85' Burger Yacht to Michigan.

Day 2 May 19 57 miles

Left Grand Harbor at 09:25 hrs traveled a few miles to Pickwick Lock, which will be the last one for approximately 200 miles, as we cruise down the scenic Tennessee River. Lucked out and were able to enter the lock chamber with no wait. Once we exited the lock we started to note evidence of the recent flooding that was so devastating to Nashville. The banks of the Tennessee are comprised sometimes of flagstone cliffs, and others of high muddy banks prone to erosion. The river appears to be up at least a couple of feet and running swift, although the water is very clean and clear. Arrived at Clifton Marina in Clifton, TN at 16:30 hrs, fueled and settled into the transient dock. The weatherman is calling for rain for the next two days, so we’ll stay here, which is fine, it’s a nice marina that serves beer and limited food. It’s also in a harbor off channel, so it’s calm. http://www.cityofclifton.com/clifton_city_marina.asp The folks are friendly, and enjoy shootin’ the breeze on the ship store’s covered deck every evening. Clifton is on a large horseshoe bend of the river, and is a quaint little town.

I’ll do my best to keep BoatPittsburgh informed of the trip, and will create a new photo album on my profile page.
    Port of Fulton, MS

Have fun and be safe. When you get back I want to come check out your boat.

Wow, can't say I ever knew much about the Tentom waterway. Pretty amazing particularly the Whitten lock. That think is huge.

Sounds like a fun trip, not one for me on my 18 footer, but maybe some day.
    2013 Chaparral 206SSI

Day 5 May 22

We're still at Clifton, it's a nice marina, we're killing time 'till the water level drops on the Ohio River. I'm enjoying wi-fi internet and they also have a washer/dryer, one thing we found on the trip south is that laundry facilities are few and far between on the Ohio River. Oh, and this is a "wet" county, many of the marinas on the Tennessee River and the Tenn-Tom waterway are in "dry" counties. Give me a river view, a beer and "Life is Good". Check on my profile page for more photos.
    Port of Fulton, MS

Default Pebble Isle

Day 5 May 23 62.5 miles

Departed Clifton Marina at 08:10 hrs. It was a hot, humid, sunny day. We traveled thru the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge. http://www.fws.gov/tennesseerefuge/ Saw several bald eagle nests, one had a bald eagle in it. Binoculars are a must on a river trip. We’re staying at Pebble Isle Marina, which is well off channel in a deep water harbor. http://www.pebble-isle.hypermart.net/ Stayed here last summer, the sunsets were magnificent.
    We’re keeping the speed down, mainly for fuel economy, but also because there is still some debris from the recent floods. We’re trying to maintain an average cruising speed of 8.8 to 9.2 mph. It makes for a long day, but we get to see the sights.
    Port of Fulton, MS

Very cool. I'm so jealous of your trip.

Hi Galleyslave, glad to see you finally got started heading back this way. Do you guys have some of the same marina's picked out to stay at during the return trip as you did on the way down or will the return trip have a whole new set of marina's? Just was curious about that.
    On a side note......been having breakfast every weekend so far at the Pit Stop. Nice walk down from Jefferies. Last nite we were walking in town and found the Tinitique. Neat place, good food, great atmosphere. Had a very nice afternoon/evening on the rivers today. It didn't clear up unitl later in the day but boy when it cleared up it turned absolutely beautiful. Took a couple nice rides today on the OHIO.
    And don't worry, it's still a wet county here and we will be waiting. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by CLO View Post
    Do you guys have some of the same marina's picked out to stay at during the return trip as you did on the way down or will the return trip have a whole new set of marina's? Just was curious about that.
    On a side note......been having breakfast every weekend so far at the Pit Stop. Nice walk down from Jefferies. Last nite we were walking in town and found the Tinitique. Neat place, good food, great atmosphere. Had a very nice afternoon/evening on the rivers today. It didn't clear up unitl later in the day but boy when it cleared up it turned absolutely beautiful. Took a couple nice rides today on the OHIO.
    And don't worry, it's still a wet county here and we will be waiting. Be safe.
    We'll return to some of the same marinas 1. because we liked them and 2. because in some areas marinas are difficult to find. We do plan to stay at some different ones also.
    Glad you're finally enjoying the boat. Tinitique has great breakfasts too. When Kelly's Riverside starts the Sunday brunch, make sure you try it.......

Keep that beer cold.............we're on the way!
    Port of Fulton, MS

Galley Slave, We are also headed home to the Beaver River. Left from mile 42 on the Cumberland River Monday the 25th, able to make it to Golconda. Nice place and very reasonable.

One chamber at the John T. Myer L&D was closed on Tuesday making for a very long lock wait coupled with torrential rain (we were able to tie up to the outer lock wall at the steps while we waited). Had to really pick through a lot of debris getting out of the lock and heading up the Ohio was a challenge in the storm. Finally stopped at Nu Plaza Mi 797, Marina is pretty old but the service and people made up for that.

We are hoping to make it to Rocky Point Marina today (Wednesday) mi 718, river seems to be clearing up.

Safe travels

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverDave View Post
    Galley Slave, We are also headed home to the Beaver River. Left from mile 42 on the Cumberland River Monday the 25th, able to make it to Golconda. Nice place and very reasonable.

One chamber at the John T. Myer L&D was closed on Tuesday making for a very long lock wait coupled with torrential rain (we were able to tie up to the outer lock wall at the steps while we waited). Had to really pick through a lot of debris getting out of the lock and heading up the Ohio was a challenge in the storm. Finally stopped at Nu Plaza Mi 797, Marina is pretty old but the service and people made up for that.

We are hoping to make it to Rocky Point Marina today (Wednesday) mi 718, river seems to be clearing up.

Safe travels
    Beaver Dave,

That is SUPER! Keep me informed of the status of the Ohio as you're traveling, please? We're at Kenlake Marina on Kentucky Lake, have some friends here, and wanted to stop and see them. Tomorrow we're heading up to the canal and into Lake Barkley. We plan to stop at Buzzard's Rock Marina, more friends there who are stuck waiting on the Mississippi to come down so they can travel, and it's in a "wet" county. We plan to leave Sunday or Monday for Golconda. Eat at the restaurant at Rocky Point, the smoked meat was fab.

Calm waters and warm breezes,
    Port of Fulton, MS

It sounds like you guys need lots of "help". I wish I could get out of work to offer it.
    I bet it would be fantanstic to take a trip like this and see other parts by waterway. I hope when I am done with watersports to get into a cruiser and do the same.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Indmar Assault 5.7L 325 HP
    "One More Hour"

Gallyslave

Thursday: We are in louisville, mile 597, The Lock right before Rocky Point was Very Very congested with Debris. We had a very hard time getting out of the chamber. The further North we get the cleaner the water seems. There is still debris but it is much less and much smaller

Dave, I'm assuming that you and Pam found a new vessel. After seeing you guys in Louisville I think you were going further south to look at something. What did you get?

We stayed at Buzzard Rock Marina on Lake Barkley for a couple of days, then went up the Ohio. Spent a couple of days at Golconda, IL under a covered slip, rode the bicycles into town to get supplies, and stopped at the local watering hole for a few beers. Then we made over 300 miles in 3 days. When we left Golconda, the river was up a bit and a little muddy, when we hit the current from the Wabash River we found out why...............it shoved us 75 feet sideways, and almost into a bouy. We had to throttle up to get out of it. Stayed at NuPlaza Yacht Club one night then went on to Rocky Point. Now THAT place is interesting, cost us $40 for one night, they trucked fuel in by pick up truck, and the docks were comparable to River Rose on the Beaver. Did 121 miles and one lock the next day, we stayed at Juniper Beach Docks, just outside of Louisville, KY. When we got close to the lock, I called the lock master on the phone, he told us if we got to the lock before the tow that we were behind, he would lock us thru. We did, he did, and we were VERY grateful after over 12 hours on the water not to have to wait to lock thru. Juniper Beach docks are really nothing more than an automated fuel stop, we pulled in behind and spent the night for no cost, fueled with the credit card the next morning and were on our way. Now we're in Warsaw, KY and plan to stay thru the weekend. The sunsets are fabulous here.
    Port of Fulton, MS

Thanks for the updates! Glad to hear things are going well!

We're in Bengal's Territory GO STEELERS Made it to mm 466 today, just east of Cinci. Riverside 4 Marina in Dayton, KY. http://www.kentuckytourism.com/Listing/3113/ Had a bit of a time getting in to the marina, the current is fast, and it's windy. They have an automated fuel pump, so no attendants to catch lines, but no one to tip either! At least I'm picking up free wi-fi, and the digital antenna has locked on to a bunch of TV stations. There is a restaurant here also.

Came past the Anderson Ferry today at mm 477.6, it has been in operation since 1817, how's that for job security? http://www.andersonferry.org/
    Port of Fulton, MS