Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.boatlocal.com/controls/phpMenu.php): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 999 No Hacking in H:\root\home\boatnet-001\www\boatlocal\forums\includes\class_bootstrap.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Prepare for the Boating Season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Prepare for the Boating Season.

Just to remind everyone to make sure your vessel is sea-worthy before hitting the water. I know the warm temps have us all itching to head out. We at River Rescue have been starting to receive calls for vessels that have broken down. Please make sure your vessel is at its best operating condition before hitting the water. Also if we do tow your vessel it is ONLY to the nearest marina with a phone so a tow service can be contacted. It is not to your launch ramp unless it is very close. Also a tow waiver must be signed.

Thanks, this will free us up for our intended purpose. Have a safe boating season

being that there is very few boats out cause it is early in the season this the reason River Rescue is being called to RESCUE a stranded boater what else do you have going on that you cant take 15 min to tow someone? I mean ya your not going to tow someone 2 locks down river but what are you guys doing that your so busy that you could not help a guy out and take him to the nearest launch as noone is docked yet? I mean if a call came in i am sure you could cut the rope and and tell the guy be back when we can something more serious has come up.

Sir,
    We do this as a courtesy to you. This is not a Rescue as you state.It is a TOW. There are private services that handle this. Our SOP gives us specific instructions regarding this. It is not up to the crew as to where to tow you. We are a life saving unit not a on the water tow service. We will ensure your safety, but not jeopardize the safety of others by being tied up with tows.
    Sorry if you disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by newpghboater View Post
    being that there is very few boats out cause it is early in the season this the reason River Rescue is being called to RESCUE a stranded boater what else do you have going on that you cant take 15 min to tow someone? I mean ya your not going to tow someone 2 locks down river but what are you guys doing that your so busy that you could not help a guy out and take him to the nearest launch as noone is docked yet? I mean if a call came in i am sure you could cut the rope and and tell the guy be back when we can something more serious has come up.

I agree but at this time of the year someone sitting stuck in the middle of the river all day or night when its cold woudl be a rescue. And at this time of the year there is not much else for you to do lets be honest what saftey would you be comprimising by towing someone. I guess sitting in the station doing nothing is better.

I agree but at this time of the year someone sitting stuck in the middle of the river all day or night when its cold woudl be a rescue. And at this time of the year there is not much else for you to do lets be honest what saftey would you be comprimising by towing someone. I guess sitting in the station doing nothing is better.
    Sorry, but I agree with citycop4. It is not their job to tow a boat back to the launch or marina where the boater came from. The last time I towed someone up river, it took me a few hours to go a couple of miles. I don't want River Rescue towing someone for hours. If you think that they just sit in the station doing nothing, then you don't understand their job at all.

I have been boating the Pittsburgh Pools for many years now and I have only once seen river rescue towing another boat. Didnt think much of it.

I can only imagine the idots who call them for help. People who try to get out this early should only be experenced boaters who have reliable equipment. This early in the season I always take time to warm the engine on the trailer and then cautiously alway go up stream in the case I have any issues I could float back down towards the ramp.

Before any of this though my oil is changed and the boat is dewinterized. New belts, plugs and what ever is needed.

There are are lot of boats that shouldnt even be on the water let alone asking for a tow when they break down.

I also agree with Citycop4. On larger waters like lake Erie where there are commercial towing companies, the coast guard, PA fish and Boat, etc will not even tow your boat if you break down. They will only rescue you and leave your boat at sea. You must call a commercial towing company to tow your boat which used to be $60/hour starting when they left their dock.

When I started boating in Pittsburgh and saw river rescue towing boats, I thought that was a pretty nice of them to tow stranded boaters.

i totally agree with citicop. it is NOT their job to even tow you anywhere unless it is an emergency, its river rescue not Jonny's towing

Any way its obvious you are a new pgh boater. Get with it and quit causing issues with people that do know better. just saying

I agree with citycop
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not to belabor the point, but newpghboater, how can you possibly think that River RESCUE should be towing a boat anywhere. One of the reasons many of us spend time insuring that our vessels are seaworthy is so we don't break down. Occasionally the best maintained does break down, but River RESCUE is not a towing service. As Steelerguy said always go up river first. And, I'll add, make sure you have an anchor and line handy. Set the anchor and call a towing service. Boaters also need to remember that the "tower" is responsible for any damage caused by the "Towee's" boat.

I had to get towed by River Rescue once. I was having electrical issues with the boat and it died in the middle of the confluence by the point. Had a full crew on board and it was 3 Am. They were kind enough to tow me back to my marina. Granted, I'm sure my current job helped get a speedy response. But they were very gracious to help. Its silly to think they should tow you to where you want to go. As said by Citicop. They will tow you to the nearest marina or launch with a phone. At that point you will be out of danger.

As an self procliamed NEWPGHBOATER, are you really in a position to dictate to river rescue what they should be doing? If you were OLDPGHBOATER you should still not tell them what they have to do, per you. Next time take some time to know protocols before you tell river rescue what they should and shouldn't do...it will serve us all well if we work with them, not tell them how to do their job...

With that said, if you want to scold river rescue...ask them why they continually wake the boats tied to the north shore. They often leave their perch, hammer down for a couple hundred yards then sit teh boat back down...but throwing a huge wake into the boats on the wall...ask anyone who ties there...they are the worst at waking boats...if they are on a rescue, by all means hit it...but as we witness, they are not on the way to a rescue because they stop....

And FYI, you will find it hard to find someone who supports cops more than I do...this is just years of witnessing it first hand...not cop bashing...

Yea! Why can't the police tow my boat back to my marina? They got nothing else to do! In fact, when I get a flat in my truck, I think state troopers should have to change it if I dial 911. And the cops on foot patrol... why are they just walking around. We should give them brooms. Then they can be sweeping the streets while they walk.

But seriously folks.... newboater, unless you've actually worked in River Rescue, how on earth do you know what they have to do? You think because it's early in the year, they have nothing to do? Are you really qualified to assume that?

I agree with most on here but i do have to say Its not their job to tow you 2 hours to your marina or from silkys to SS launch thats ridic. But I will say Yes river Rescue if someone is stuck in the river it is your job to tow them to a wall at the point or north shore or closest marina then tell them good luck. And to City Cop. Since you do ask us to get our boats in good shape so we dont have to bother you what do you have to say to can you guys stop waking the crap out of the boats on the north shore and marinas just cause you can dont mean you have to!!! I have been tied on the wall before and watched them come flying out of the station hammer it down until they get to the point then just go and look around all while my boat is being slammed against the wall! What do you have to say to this as i am sure i am not the only person who has had this problem.

In another thread contessaowner85 asked "does anyone know good 24 hour tow services in Pittsburgh. or have experiences using some on river tow services?"

So, my question is are there ANY water tow services in and around the Pittsburgh area?

Boat US http://www.boatus.com/towing/default...T.mc_id=400003
    offers towing insurance to their members, but the closest I see to Pittsburgh is on Lake Erie.

My second question is why don't some of you young, boat owning entrepreneurs look into starting a towing service affiliated with Boat US?
    1959 Chris Craft Conqueror 40' "LouAl"
    24' Pontoon "Red Solo Cup"
    Port of Fulton, MS

Well, galleyslave.
    I am also surprised that marina's don't have an official tow boat. Especially the one's that have a mechanic on hand. (relating to AAA, I don't know that there would be many tow trucks that don't have a garage facility).

Also not sure the "demand" is there?

Being there are locks, I imagine it could take a while for one to get wherever the tow was needed. (vs lakes, but guess it depends where you broke on Erie).

Also without looking into it, I would think insurance/liability would be big issue.

Tempting idea though...
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Indmar Assault 5.7L 325 HP
    "One More Hour"

I am pretty sure that Lenny in millvale will tow if you called him. There still is a tow boat over at Vics but i still cant even belive people dock there.

Quote Originally Posted by JZelt View Post
    Well, galleyslave.
    I am also surprised that marina's don't have an official tow boat. Especially the one's that have a mechanic on hand. (relating to AAA, I don't know that there would be many tow trucks that don't have a garage facility).

Also not sure the "demand" is there?

Being there are locks, I imagine it could take a while for one to get wherever the tow was needed. (vs lakes, but guess it depends where you broke on Erie).

Also without looking into it, I would think insurance/liability would be big issue.

Tempting idea though...
    Put that second boat of yours to use huh! Good business opp for you and keeps you on the river. Let me know if you start hiring.
    2013 Chaparral 206SSI

Quote Originally Posted by Quag View Post
    Put that second boat of yours to use huh! Good business opp for you and keeps you on the river. Let me know if you start hiring.
    Ha! It's tempting, but hubby is a bit too "seasoned" to start a new business. But it would be a great job!

I think Allegheny County has more registered boats than any other county in the state of PA, and I'm sure there are many boats in the adjacent counties. I'm not sure how many locals belong to Boat US, but during an extended cruise like the Great Loop, membership is really essential. Most marinas offered a discount on transient dockage and a fuel discount for members. (somewhere @ 10% but when purchasing 150 gallons at 3 bucks a gallon, that's a good discount!) I think towing is included along with a magazine subscription, but there are varying levels of membership. Hubby handled the details of that.
    1959 Chris Craft Conqueror 40' "LouAl"
    24' Pontoon "Red Solo Cup"
    Port of Fulton, MS