Thread: Kid safety

Default Kid safety

We have a 41 foot Gibson houseboat...which unfortunately is wrapped up for the winter. But next summer our daughter will be 1 and walking around all over the place. We are looking to put up safety nets or canvas or something on our outside railings to stop her from falling into the water. Does anybody have any inexpensive ideas? We could make canvas pieces for each of the railings, but I think that would be pretty expensive.

Not sure how this would look . . . plexiglass with zip ties. This was a suggestion given to a parent on a talk show for second level railings at her home.

I'll offer the following suggestions but personally would be leery taking on such a job simply because given the safety net you're looking to create, nothing I can think of is anything I'd consider selling you as a child safety device. These ideas will be better than nothing but I don't want to imply this is "the answer" and have no experience with using what is normally a protective material to keep in your precious cargo... that disclaimer out of the way, here is what comes to mind.

From a "costs too much" perspective, truthfully to make up some rectangular canvas with reinforced / bound edges that had eyelets every X inches that you could lace around your railing shouldn't be too terribly expensive - chances are shops like mine or others have scraps or leftovers laying around that can be made into the shapes you need, but canvas is made to keep water out of places you don't want it and not provide a lot of structural safety in my opinion. Perhaps a better suited alternative would be to use what looks like colored window screen which is actually a polyester mesh that is coated with colored vinyl that is actually designed for patio furniture called Phifertex which when made properly, it again can be laced around your railings rather easily by you and asking someone to make the shapes you request should save you some costs installing the coverings yourself. More information on Phifertex can be found here

http://www.phifer.com/DesignFabrics.aspx

You can spend as little or as much as you want on this fabric, it comes in standard colors of designer prints as well. It would probably be my best recommendation off the top of my head, but again the idea of suggesting to use a long run of nylon cord or shock cord which would be needed to keep it in place without modifying your boat doesn't scream "safety for a toddler" given the choking hazard something like that could introduce if it were to come undone or otherwise somehow create a hazard (creating a series of small openings with rope or cord where if it came partially undone and a little one could poke their head through / get stuck sounds like a little too much of a risk for the business owner in me to say is a great idea either). Of course not that you plan to leave your daughter running wild on the boat unattended, but I'm looking at it from a hazard possibility first and a business owner's liability standpoint second but ultimately I don't want to suggest anything that isn't the safest possible for your family of course.

If you'd be interested in any more information feel free to contact me, or if you have a canvas person already feel free to ask their opinion about the Phifertex.

Greg

I know it's not the same as a child, but we have a German Shepherd that goes bonkers when people come to the door. We were worried that he'd end up smacking into the picture window in the living room and breaking it. So my wife found this plastic netting stuff. I think they call it deer fence, or yard mesh or something. Looks like the orange plastic mesh fence you see around construction sites. Only the stuff she got was white. It's not too objectionable looking and comes in an easy to cut roll. Cheap too if I remember correctly. It's pretty tough stuff, a toddler isn't going to tear it down. My 100+ pound Shepherd hasn't ripped it yet. It's about 24-28 inches high. Not sure how long of a roll it comes on. It would be easy to attach with zip ties or the like.

Looks like this stuff only white:

Default mesh fence

I was just on craigs list and there is a 50 ft roll of that plastic fence on there for like 35 bucks in the boats section.