Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.boatlocal.com/controls/phpMenu.php): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 999 No Hacking in H:\root\home\boatnet-001\www\boatlocal\forums\includes\class_bootstrap.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Wannabe Wakeboarder

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Wannabe Wakeboarder

I have a 25 foot cruiser with a 320 hp Volvo. It has enough hole shot for a large man to get up on skis. We also frequently tow two 3-person tubes with it. I'd like to try wakeboarding, but I'm not sure if I have the hole shot. Roughly what percentage more hole shot will I need for wakeboarding versus skiing? I don't want to spend $300 on the wrong board, only to find out I don't have the hole shot. My wake is huge. I imagine this would be fun once I learn, but I imagine it will make it difficult to learn. Should I buy a certain style/cut of board considering the slower hole shot of my cruiser? I thought e-bay would be a good place to buy a used one. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm not a wake boarder, but I have drive. I have found you need much less of a hole shot for WBng then skis. That's my 2 cents.
    2013 Chaparral 206SSI

i might suggest you post on wakeboardpittsburgh.com and leave a post. i'm sure they will give you the imfo you need.

If you drag a little while (10 seconds on 2 skies), you will probably have to put the same amount of effort in to getting up on a wakeboard.
    You will definitely have an awesome wake to jump with. I think your limitation will be that the rope is going to bring you back down to earth rather than help you soar if that is what you are looking for.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Indmar Assault 5.7L 325 HP
    "One More Hour"

Guys, thanks for the responses. THe wakeboardpittsburgh.com site says that dialogue will be conducted here on this site. Hopefully some of those guys will visit and respond.

Now, if I only knew if my fiberglass arch could withstand a cleat.....

Sorry that I have not checked the website in a while. I have been focused on my snowboard websites lately.

It really depends on your technique how much pull you need to get up.

If you can already pull up a skier, then you can easily pull up a wakeboarder. I have gotten up behind 80 hp boats and 760cc jet skis.

Here is a good place to find good cheap beginner wakeboard packages: http://www.wakenskate.com/wakeboard/...es-combos.html

I would stay off of ebay/craigslist unless you really know what you are looking for. There are a lot of rip-offs and old/blemished products. You can always email me (kyle@wakeboardpittsburgh.com) if you think you have found a deal and I will tell you if it is a good deal or not.

I would have to see a picture of the fiberglass/cleat thing you are talking about to give any guidence...

Quote Originally Posted by Brace Doc View Post
    Guys, thanks for the responses. THe wakeboardpittsburgh.com site says that dialogue will be conducted here on this site. Hopefully some of those guys will visit and respond.

Now, if I only knew if my fiberglass arch could withstand a cleat.....
    I have read elsewhere that you should never tow from the arch, they are not make to withstand that. In fact the only place you should tow anything from is a ski eye, wake tower or pylon. Not even the cleats on the side.
    2013 Chaparral 206SSI

Kyle,

Snowboards come in all-mountain style. As a beginner, should I be looking for the same in a wakeboard?

Also, we had fun with our kneeboard before I went off my big wake and snapped it in half. The spill I took was a little rough on the neck for one day. I guess that could happen with any watersport. How does wakeboarding rank relative to the frequency of neck strains?

Thanks for your input.

Snowboards have a lot more variables than wakeboards. There is no such thing as an "All mountain" wakeboard. The main difference between boards is the rocker (the curve on the bottom of the board from the tip to the tail). The two main types are Continous and Three-Stage. Continous is one constant curve from tip to tail. This provides for a faster board with a constant pop of the wake. Three-Stage boards have a flat spot on the bottom of the board that makes it a little slower, but provides more pop. 75% of people today rock three-stage, but both work well for beginners.

I highly recomend that you demo a couple of different board before you buy something. Unfortunatly, we no longer have a local pro-shop. The closest ones are Navigation Company http://www.navcompany.com/ in Conneaut Lake, PA & High Mountain Sports http://www.highmountainsports.com/ in Deep Creek Lake, MD. Both have really good owners and there sales people know a lot about product.

Also, if you want, I can lend you a couple of mine to see what type of shape you like, and then you can go out and buy something. When it gets closer to the season, shoot me an email at kyle (at) wakeboardpittsburgh.com and we can get in a day on the river.

Also, if you snowboard and you are going to be up at 7springs this winter, let me know. I am up there with a ton of wakeboarders pretty much every weekend.

Thanks for the info! I'm usually at Hidden Valley, but I'd be glad to check out the boards when it warms. Thanks again for the offer.

Default putting in my 2 cents

If u can get up sking u can wakeboard, most people struggle with the concept after being a waterskier but once you get it you will think it is easy. I personally can stand up while the boat is at idle and i weigh 200 lbs, going back to Kyles statement they do make a wakeboard that is very simmilar to a snowboard but they are not really for beginners they have no fins to help controll and have alot of flex it is called the Hyperlite Roam. The pros call it a flexboard, I am a local boardshop minutes from the burgh we have some demos left if you would like to try them. check out our site at (mysite.verizon.net/vzevjuv8/) website still in the making Thanks Brian wsw marina

Very cool thread here....

I got my first wakeboard from ebay, it had a very smooth bottom that slipped out of control a lot... i think i only paid $60 for it... then i found a much newer hyperlite with big fins at the end of the tracking grooves... it was even less, only $50 dollars... it had been scratched up from riding rails but man did it make a HUGE difference, the tracking lines on the bottom allowed me to carve into the wake without it slipping out from under me... and it essentially has three fins on each end. I had to get bindings separately but i am sure you can put together a package on ebay for under $100... that's my 2 cents.

Snowboarding translates well onto the water and visaversa... i went from the water to the snow, and my friend keith went from snow to the water... we both were jumping on our first day and laughing at each other fall.. the midweek pass at springs is only $199 right now and you can still use the remaining snow... we were up there lastweekend but now idk what is left. Come to think of it all three snowboards i have used perform like the first wakeboard i had, lots of slip when sideways.

Default Size of board?

Kyle,

I'm 5'11'', 180 lbs, size 12 shoe. What size board should I get? What do you think of this package: http://www.wakenskate.com/wakeboard/...ings-2010.html, or this one: http://www.wakenskate.com/wakeboard/...ings-2010.html ? It sounds like I should stick with the 3-stage. With my larger wake, should I be thinking mellower or deeper? Any specific advice on fin length or taper?

Also, my kids and their friends have quite a range of shoe sizes. Is there a good average size beginner board where one binding mount can be adjusted to accomodate 2 or 3 different boot sizes (to save me from buying another board)? Thanks a ton.

Doc

Default Size of board?

Also, I typically tow from my side cleat which is not ideal. I'm looking into having tow eyes installed, but I understand there needs to be a way to access the inside of the fiberglass for the inside plate to fit. My U-shaped lounger seat slides 1 foot aft to provide more room on deck, but this seat is on slides, so I don't think it can handle the force of a wakeboarder. Is it going to be more difficult if I board from port or starboard if the tow eye is 3 feet off the water? Thanks.
    Doc
    Last edited by Brace Doc; 05-22-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Hey Doc I just wanna let you know I can get you a 142 hyperlite forefront with remix boot in xl in that same price range, its a very nice setup .the board comes with 2 sets of changeable fins for chop and rider preference. The kids board depends on how much $ you want to spend and how old kids are, you dont want something theyll grow out of in 1 season.call me let me know what you think Brian at wsw marina 412 445 8431

are you able to make some kind of bridal between side cleats?

Doc, I really like both the State and Forefront for beginner wakeboarders. Both will make wakeboarding a lot easier for you and the kids to learn. The PS3 is a very aggressive board and I do not recommend it for beginners.

I am 5'11 180 lbs, and I ride anything between a 137 and 145. Smaller is much easier to control and much easier to learn on.

Wakeboard Bindings do not adjust like water ski bindings. When you buy a size, it fits a range of feet. I highly recommend going somewhere where you can try on the bindings before you buy them.

Can you post pics of the cleats? I can't really get a handle on it without seeing it...

Do any of you know a good company who can outfit my cruiser with a wake pole? It would need to have the supports custom built. The newer 25 foot open bows have a fiberglass arch that is specifically made to handle a wakeboarder - very nice. I am looking to either support my arch for a tow cleat, or, more likely, bolt a wake pole from my swim platform with supports from the rear glass. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Brace Doc View Post
    The newer 25 foot open bows have a fiberglass arch that is specifically made to handle a wakeboarder - very nice.
    Do you have a picture or a link to this?

I typically do not recommend wake poles off the back of the boat. When the rope is tied up high on the back of a boat the rider can pull the boat around and it is not very fun to drive.

Have you looked into a tower? http://www.monstertower.com/ makes a really good product and prices have come down in the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle P View Post
    Do you have a picture or a link to this?

I typically do not recommend wake poles off the back of the boat. When the rope is tied up high on the back of a boat the rider can pull the boat around and it is not very fun to drive.

Have you looked into a tower? http://www.monstertower.com/ makes a really good product and prices have come down in the past couple of years.
    I saw the towers, but my cruiser's glass is not flat enough in the correct areas.

Here is the new combo arch light / wake rope tie: http://www.regalboats.com/24FasDeckRX. Check out the photos.