Default Kidde Fire Extinguisher recall

Hello all, I found this on another forum and thought everyone would like to know.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
    Name of product: Kidde XL Fire Extinguishers

Units: About 167,000

Distributor: Walter Kidde Portable Equipment Inc., of Mebane, N.C.

Hazard: The pressurized cylinders in the recalled fire extinguishers could lose pressure and fail to operate. In the event of a fire, this failure could put a consumer and property at risk.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Description: This recall involves the Kidde XL Fire Extinguishers with model numbers FX340SC, FX340H, FX340GW, XL5MR, FX210R, FX340SC-2, FX210W, XL2.5TCZ-4, E-340-3 and with manufacture dates between October 2007 and April 2008. “Kidde” and the model number can be found on the label on the front of the extinguisher. The manufacture year is on the bottom of the extinguisher. If your extinguisher is one of the listed model numbers and is marked with the year 07 or 08, contact Kidde to determine if you have a recalled extinguisher.

Sold at: Department, home, and hardware stores nationwide from October 2007 through April 2008 for about $35.

Manufactured in: Mexico

Remedy: Consumers should immediately inspect the pressure gauge. If it points to the red zone, contact Kidde to receive a free replacement extinguisher. If the gauge is not in the red zone, but you have questions about an extinguisher within the listed model numbers, please contact Kidde for additional information.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Kidde at (888) 345-4407 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s Web site at www.Kidde.com

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09151.html

thanks for the imfo i will check mine next time i'm on the boat

Ok.... who wants to hear my horror story about my kiddie fire extinguisher?

Well...................... here goes.

Last April when Boat World was heading out of business I purchased a small kiddie fire extinguisher because the one that I got when I bought the boat was bad, all went well until mid June.

So I am putt putting along towards the West End Bridge over the weekend "no wake" time. Along comes the boys with the blue lights complaining that I gunned the engine before the bridge... I was in disbelief considering they were down at Peggy's docks when they saw me..... well they decided to do a "safety check". I was so proud, man I have a life jacket for every size and a color to match anybody's bathing suite, I have my handy whistle, everything was perfect---------------- UNTIL, guess what? They check my brand new extinguisher that I was so proud of I whipped it out of the cradle and they look at me and tell me that it's empty. ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

To make a long story short I hear them talking about not letting me continue on and I have 3 other people in the boat.... YIKES. Well the head blue light dude proceeds to tell me that I cannot continue and I must take the boat back to where I dock/launched it.

So I see the post about the recall, guess what? The recall ended a few months before my kiddie expiration date.... at this point I got mad and sent them a strongly worded email, guess what? I got a brandy new one via UPS today.

The moral of the story, don't be too proud of your extinguisher.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by hurlboat View Post
    thanks for the imfo i will check mine next time i'm on the boat

Also with the boys in blue, if you have to hand them (or anyone else for that matter) any object, make sure you lean over their side and hand it to them. I witnessed a jetski being checked a couple years ago, it got to the fire extinguisher inspection. He handed it to the officer, the officer didn't have it....plunk...to the bottom. End of day...I look at our every time I get on the boat. It is mounted by feet of the driver so it is easy to do...
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Indmar Assault 5.7L 325 HP
    "One More Hour"

That's a quick $30

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by JZelt View Post
    Also with the boys in blue, if you have to hand them (or anyone else for that matter) any object, make sure you lean over their side and hand it to them. I witnessed a jetski being checked a couple years ago, it got to the fire extinguisher inspection. He handed it to the officer, the officer didn't have it....plunk...to the bottom. End of day...I look at our every time I get on the boat. It is mounted by feet of the driver so it is easy to do...