Default No need to shake hands when overtaking

Some people are really starting to piss me off. Now I may not be blasting along at full speed, I really just like to cruise around going about 10 or 12 mph. Late yesterday afternoon, my wife and I were out just cruising along and within the course of 15 minutes, were overtaken by 4 different boats on the Mon (headed back towards the point). If I had fully extended my arm I could have shaken hands with the poeple in the other boat.

I understand that they have right of way in an overtaking situation, but there is no need to come within 4 feet of me. I have a 26ft express and she is fairly stable so I am not worried about their wake. I am more worried about the a*&holes bashing into me.

Might be time to dig out the paintball gun.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by snmpgh View Post
    Some people are really starting to piss me off. Now I may not be blasting along at full speed, I really just like to cruise around going about 10 or 12 mph. Late yesterday afternoon, my wife and I were out just cruising along and within the course of 15 minutes, were overtaken by 4 different boats on the Mon (headed back towards the point). If I had fully extended my arm I could have shaken hands with the poeple in the other boat.

I understand that they have right of way in an overtaking situation, but there is no need to come within 4 feet of me. I have a 26ft express and she is fairly stable so I am not worried about their wake. I am more worried about the a*&holes bashing into me.

Might be time to dig out the paintball gun.

Mike
    Mike, They do not have the right of way when overtaking you. Until thay pass you, you have the right of way. They are the "give way" vessel, you are the "stand on" vessel. They are responsible if an accident would occur, until they are completly passed you.

Regardless of when he gains right of way, my point is I should not be able to reach out and touch him as he goes by. Combine that with the number of boats going going wide open within 30 feet of the shore line, I am surprised there are not more serious accidents.

Mike

I totally agree with you. There are rules, but many don't seem to obey them. You're right, it's amazing there are not more accidents.

It always amazes me how people like to pass each other at these distances. My preference is to pass as far away as possible. No sense risking anything silly. All it takes is a rogue wave or to his something underwater and cause the boat to hook. Next thing you know you are plowing into the other boat.

I dont think any of this stuff is a new phonomemon. But now that we have a way to all get connected and share our gripes, we hear about it more. It just comes down to trying to teach the newbies proper behaviors when they start boating. I had the benefit of lessons by Terry Grantz when I started boating and have since tried doing the same.

Last I checked you need to keep 100 feet. I know some states are going to a mandatory boat license. Has PA ever talked about that? Not sure if it would help, but got to figure there are lot of people that buy a boat and dump it in the drink and never take a boater safety class.

I know I was one, but took the coarse very soon after.
    2013 Chaparral 206SSI

anyone that is born after 1982 i think is required to have a boaters saftey course to operate any type of vessel boat or jetski

You are correct....I was born in February of 1982 and I had to get my boaters license to drive a PWC years ago. They have since changed the law to require anyone born after 1982 to have a license to drive a boat as well. However if you were born December 31, 1981 you can drive a boat without a boaters license.

I agree with you on this subject but there are the people that also turn right in front of you when your trying to go around them. These people are just as bad also. I had a person towing his kid on a tube the other day and I was behind him but off to his port side by about a good hundred yards or so. This guy never looked and turned to his port side never to slow down. this really surprised me because he had his kid on a tube. If I didn't give him that much room I would hate to have seen what would have happened.
    aka Burger Boy or the shift man

Don't know if this is the best place to put this or not but here I go. Today We were out and unfortunately one of my buddies had a pretty bad out drive failure and had to be towed in. While we towed him in today we a numerous boaters and yes some boaters that claim they are the best, come way to close for no reason what so ever on plane. Some of this larger boats put out on heck of a wake at that speed and tossed us pretty good a couple of times. When these times happened they had plenty of space to be way away from us towing in the broken down boat. Not only does it throw the broken down boat all around it throws the towing boat all around. This makes pulling the broken down hard on the towing boat. Maybe I'm being to critical on this subject but I don't want to see anyone getting hurt or anymore damage done to either of the boats. Especially the guy towing in the other boat. He is just trying to help...
    aka Burger Boy or the shift man

Kahle,

Funny you should say that we were out on sunday on the allegheny between millvale and sharpsburg ancored off to the side with my uncle boat tied off to us. In that time several very big boats with dual engines flew by us with in 50 ft or less, causing massive wakes. My Uncle boat is a 18 ft open bow and mine is a 26 ft cruiser. One wake rocked us so bad his cleath broke off!!! Then we went to leave and with all the rocking something knocked lose on his boat and it would start, so I had to tow him back. Again boats flying passed us and toward us with in feet making wake with no concern that we were towing a boat that was dead. Now my boat was handling the wakes ok, however a few times i had to give it more gas than you prefer to when towing, but my Uncles boat that was dead was getting tossed around, waves coming up over hteir boat and soaking them, it was gorrible. I was beeping at boat to move and slow down and they just looked at me like I was crazy and kept going. I think everyone should have to take some type of boating class to at least learn curtiousy and safety for all involved!!! My Uncle's boat oculd have very well capsized with some of the waves/wakes they were taking on.

It would be helpful if there was a greater LEO precense. I would like to be deputized on the water, have all the lights/bells to outfit my boat which is suited to the task. No reason to bust people for everything, or treat people the way PAFB does - but to make a precense of force as well as assistance. That might help settle people down, as well as put people at ease knowing that help is right there. Running WOT is a blast, tubing, and even drinking is part of the culture and it all should be, but where common sense is missing enforcement unfortunately has to be the crutch. If people can't be responsible or sensible enough to not travel 50mph within 10m of a boat towing small children, or even kayaks - LEO can be that big stick that settles them down. Deputization of LEOs on the water is likely the only way to go, no way to have roving patrols throughout the many pools we have in Pittsburgh.
    1989 Baretta Success 200 - 21' Cuddy Cabin "High - Callibur) 229hp Volvo Penta (GM V8)

1977 Glastron V-162 Futura - 16' speed boat "Marine Fox" w/ 1968 65hp Merc outboard

As long as a$$holes are getting drunk out of their minds while boating you are going to have situations like that.

It's a shame the LEO does not setup checkpoints near the point on holiday weekends, they would make enough money to take care of the national debt. Boating while drunk out of their minds is one of the dark secrets of boating.

Chuck