Exclamation Coast Guard bans open water anchoring at Kenny Chesney concert

Wow, the Coast Guard should spend some time at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia to see how fun is done. "Ooh, it was difficult to steer in between all those people having fun."

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/...hesney-concert

I don't think it's a bad thing. There are to many idiots that are able to purchase boats but don't have to know all the rules or reasons why there are those rules. The fact is regardless of the day you aren't allowed to anchor in the main channel. If a barge comes up river it shouldn't be inconvienced or obstructed by some morons anchoring in the channel. 100ft from the wall is pretty far out so you can still anchor between the bridge supports and the edges. It doesn't change much it just gives them easier way to enforce the rules that already apply.
    '87 Donzi 22 2+3- trailered
    '89 Formula 242LS- docked at outboard haven

Quote Originally Posted by dbleil89 View Post
    I don't think it's a bad thing. There are to many idiots that are able to purchase boats but don't have to know all the rules or reasons why there are those rules. The fact is regardless of the day you aren't allowed to anchor in the main channel. If a barge comes up river it shouldn't be inconvienced or obstructed by some morons anchoring in the channel. 100ft from the wall is pretty far out so you can still anchor between the bridge supports and the edges. It doesn't change much it just gives them easier way to enforce the rules that already apply.
    Are you interpreting that anchoring is still permitted within 100 feet of shore? That would be more lenient but that's not how I read it. That sounds like lots of accidents waiting to happen as people cram into anchoring within 100 feet of shore. Add a windy day and watch the fiberglass claims pile up. That would be a disaster. I read it as you must be tied to a wall, tied to a boat that is tied to the wall, or you are not permitted to be stopped or loitering anywhere between the bridge zone. I thought the 100 feet limit was to prevent a string of 20 boats off the wall. Heck, 8 boats with 13 foot beams would be in violation. Perhaps its poorly written. Someone better clarify this quickly before @#&@!!
    Last edited by Drifter; 05-30-2018 at 03:10 PM.

I didn't read the news article because they don't know. Here is the written version of what is or isn't allowed

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...h-pennsylvania
    '87 Donzi 22 2+3- trailered
    '89 Formula 242LS- docked at outboard haven

Quote Originally Posted by dbleil89 View Post
    I didn't read the news article because they don't know. Here is the written version of what is or isn't allowed

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...h-pennsylvania
    Yes, this version appears to allow anchoring within 100 feet of shore without being tied to a wall, unlike the news headline. Cramming boats, swimmers, and anchor lines closer together near shore sounds more dangerous than if the boat police were to just play the role of traffic cop for a day. I guess we'll see.

Is very little words, you can't anchor in the Navigation Channel. You can anchor anywhere else. They placed marker buoys in two places outside of Heinz Field to let the rec boaters know where the channel is at.

Any updates 2 hours before the concert?

It appears the restriction kept many boaters away.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    It appears the restriction kept many boaters away.
    Don't forget Journey and DeF Leppard were playing at the same time

There were a few dozen boats anchored out by the string of boats that I was tied to. Having 3 concerts on the same day probably chased some boaters away. KC, Journey and Def Leppard and X-Fest. That was a concert goers dream.