Thread: battery drain

Default battery drain

brand new problem...got a 1990 17' sylvan profisherman with 70 hp yamaha last July. Worked fine last year. two batteries and they appear to be hooked up in parallel (on board battery charger is two banks but only one hooked up) one battery in stern and one under the steering column. Battery in rear was 3+ years old. Took both batteries out over winter and charged the newer one twice during the winter. Spring came and I purchased new battery to replace old one that was 3+ yrs old. Installed brand new battery under steering column and placed (what I thought was a relatively new battery - one year old) in stern. Everything worked. Took boat to dealer for some work and 3 weeks later he told me that one of the batteries was dead. I told him to replace it. Got boat back on Friday (week after newest battery) and both batteries read below 8 volts and the one I purchased in March won't charge at all - charging with real car charger in garage. I have no clue what would eat up that much battery in the boat??? There is no sound from bilge or livewell pumps and I have no radio installed nor is the fish finder plugged in. What keeps coming to mind is that I stored the boat in East Brady in the mines in the non-climate controlled area. Lots of humidity. Can anyone point me where I need to look first??? Appreciate the help.
    Last edited by Tom3600; 05-06-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: spelling

If you have one bad battery, it will drain the other. I suspect that the original battery drained the new battery. The storage location shouldn't have made a difference since the batteries were at home. The only thing that could have happened is the moisture got to your on board battery charger. I would start there with your troubleshooting. Make sure it is putting out the proper voltage.

Good call. Charger was bad. Unfortunately it killed one of the new batteries. No more Brady's Bend storage. Had a Larson years ago that I stored there only one winter (got cheap) and the impeller rusted. Thought it cracked my block...fortunately it did not.