Thread: Throttle alarm

Default Throttle alarm

1989 70 hp yamaha 2 stroke working fine until weekend. Shrill alarm coming from throttle and engine limiter kicked in. Always thought it was a temperature alarm so I ordered new thermostat and water pump (gaskets too). Before I go replacing parts, I'm concerned that it might be something else like oil injector? With engine at home and sitting in driveway, every time I turn the ignition on the alarm starts. Because the engine is cold, does this mean it might be something else? I disconnected the battery and waited for a reset. Reconnected and alarm does not go away. Before I run to a dealer does anyone have any suggestions? I was getting flow from the pee hole but I never touched it to see if it was warm or cold water.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Does it beep, if so how many times? I would look closer at the oil tank level and if there also is a oil tank on engine see if it's full. Try to google your issue.

I'm more familiar with Mercury outboards. Did find this for Yamaha

Continious buzzer on these engines is for engine overheat. And as part of the troubleshooting process, the first thing you have to do is duplicate the buzzer, and then shut the engine off right away and see if she is actually overheating or not. So what you would do is do not let the engine idle and cool down once you get a buzzer, you would just shut it right off immediately. Then pull the engine cover off, and you can either take the temperature of the top of the cylinder head with an IR temp gun (which is the safest and most accurate way to do it). Or just touch it.

It should be about 160F. 160F is about as hot as a hot cup of coffee as a reference. It should be warm enough that you can touch it without scalding yourself. But not so hot you instantly burn.

If your running cool, right around 160, then its simply a bad temperature sensor, kicking on before it should, which happens all of the time. But if your running hot, 190F or over. Then your overheating. If the impeller is new, the next thing is the thermostat. If that is new, the next thing is looking for evidence of a head gasket or exhaust gasket cover leak. As both of those would put air into the cooling system, displace water, and cause an overheat.

And, thats it. That is where you stand with this one, and what needs to be done. Obviously I am not there to do this work for you, but I do want to make sure you are happy with me and the answers I give you here before doing the rating. If you have a further question on this, by all means feel free to fire away. If not, please let me know if the ratings box gives you any troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by www.stvowners.com View Post
    Does it beep, if so how many times? I would look closer at the oil tank level and if there also is a oil tank on engine see if it's full. Try to google your issue.
    Oil is full and beep is steady.

Quote Originally Posted by www.stvowners.com View Post
    I'm more familiar with Mercury outboards. Did find this for Yamaha

Continious buzzer on these engines is for engine overheat. And as part of the troubleshooting process, the first thing you have to do is duplicate the buzzer, and then shut the engine off right away and see if she is actually overheating or not. So what you would do is do not let the engine idle and cool down once you get a buzzer, you would just shut it right off immediately. Then pull the engine cover off, and you can either take the temperature of the top of the cylinder head with an IR temp gun (which is the safest and most accurate way to do it). Or just touch it.

It should be about 160F. 160F is about as hot as a hot cup of coffee as a reference. It should be warm enough that you can touch it without scalding yourself. But not so hot you instantly burn.

If your running cool, right around 160, then its simply a bad temperature sensor, kicking on before it should, which happens all of the time. But if your running hot, 190F or over. Then your overheating. If the impeller is new, the next thing is the thermostat. If that is new, the next thing is looking for evidence of a head gasket or exhaust gasket cover leak. As both of those would put air into the cooling system, displace water, and cause an overheat.

And, thats it. That is where you stand with this one, and what needs to be done. Obviously I am not there to do this work for you, but I do want to make sure you are happy with me and the answers I give you here before doing the rating. If you have a further question on this, by all means feel free to fire away. If not, please let me know if the ratings box gives you any troubles.
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to start with the sensor and work my way up.

Yes. Thermostat was OK but I replaced it anyway and the impeller was in pieces. Actually a pretty easy job. Running great. Thanks.