Default Weekend Boating Rant

I was going to stay quiet on this one, but it's the same old stuff all over again. Two weekends in a row, got waked really badly anchored near the shore behind 18 Mile Island. The first time, it was a 26' express cruiser and 4 jet skis, which put us in the mud. Last night, we were grabbing our dinners as they went flying off the table. Same thing, an express cruiser on plane going by well inside of 100'.

Speaking of wakes, Bob at River's Edge tells me that it's been really bad at his place. He sees large boats coming from hundreds of yards away, and even tries to call some on the radio to no avail. He's had damaged merchandise from wakes hurling objects off his shelves.

I'm concerned that the same lack of respect we see on the highways is spreading even more to our waterways. I was out this morning (Monday), skiing and tubing with a boatload of kids, and it was great having the river to ourselves.
    "Escape Pod" Boston Whaler 180 Ventura

Yes, Sunday afternoon I made the mistake of beaching at Grassy and a massive wake put me in the mud. Thankful to a couple of fellow boaters who helped me get back off or I'd still be there.

It's really bad.

Today people go out and buy a boat....and they're boaters. They know nothing, and you can't tell most of them anything.

I read that there are more people than ever buying 30'+ boats as their first. Unbelievable.

Boat rage is near I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Carver36 View Post
    It's really bad.

Today people go out and buy a boat....and they're boaters. They know nothing, and you can't tell most of them anything.

I read that there are more people than ever buying 30'+ boats as their first. Unbelievable.

Boat rage is near I'm afraid.
    They aren't boaters. They are someone that OWNS a boat. Boaters are respectful of other boaters. People that own a boat, only think of themselves. I was at the wharf outside PNC Park this past Sunday. I was rafted off to another boat when someone who owns a boat was looking for a buddy came within 20' of my boat, waking it along with the other 20 or so boats on the wharf. He could have cared less about the possible damage that he could have done. He had one thing on his mind, find a friend of his. The best part is that this part of the river is a designated a NO WAKE ZONE on the weekends to prevent someone for doing exactly what this person who owns a boat did.

This is a major issue and to make it worse most of them do not know how to turn on their radios or even what channel to monitor. If you trail to hail them there is no response! The river is more crowded now then I have ever seen it and manners are out the door - i dont think this is limited to the river - its a culture thing and its not just the younger folks, boat coming into the 6 mile cove on plane - i just dont get it!!!!
    Chris Morris
    Austin-Tatious IV - Monticello River Yacht
    ?- 2013 Malibu 24 MXZ
    T8TrTot - 340 Yachtliner
    Louisville Yacht Club

I'm surprised the people at 6 mi cove didn't throw beer bottles at them.

Of corse most of those people don't know any better either, and probably think it's ok.