Default Need Advice for buying a boat in Canada!

Wondering if anyone has ever purchased a boat out of the country? We are considering buying a boat from Canada. The sellers are willing to cross the border and meet us in NY to make the transfer. I'm told that the paperwork all needs handled in PA. Any advice or tips? Not sure how to go about it all! Thanks!

I id back in 2010 and had to use a broker to do all the paperwork. Will see if I have anymore info left. Once in Pennsylvania any boat dealer can do the registration but will need documents that it entered the USA legally! May have changed since 2010. Here's the person who did mine, very honest and well respected. Delivered mine from Nova Scotia my home.

http://www.frankmoletransport.com/Fr...t/Welcome.html

Great! Thanks for the info! That seems the smart thing to do. May I ask approximately how much they normally charge? Did he handle the payment also? We would be buying from a private seller, not a dealer.

You could probably do the transfer in NY at a notary for the boat itself, but you will have to go to a PA notary that does boats to register it in PA and pay the PA taxes. I am not sure how it works with out of country boats. I have heard that it isn't too bad, but I have also hear that it can be a PITA.

Don't think you would want to change ownership from Canada to NY first. I'm sure NY would want some tax $$$? Got to have the correct papers from the border crossing authorizes. Can you imagine when the Canadian owner goes home without towing the boat a short time later?

Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy Greg View Post
    You could probably do the transfer in NY at a notary for the boat itself, but you will have to go to a PA notary that does boats to register it in PA and pay the PA taxes. I am not sure how it works with out of country boats. I have heard that it isn't too bad, but I have also hear that it can be a PITA.

Just give Frank a call. For mine I sent the owner a bank check as deposit and Frank had the balance due after he inspected the boat. Find out which border crossing the owner would be using? With a broker all the paper is completed beforehand so you get through US Customs. I think it was only around $200. I used http://www.anderinger.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RubySlipperz View Post
    Great! Thanks for the info! That seems the smart thing to do. May I ask approximately how much they normally charge? Did he handle the payment also? We would be buying from a private seller, not a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by www.stvowners.com View Post
    Don't think you would want to change ownership from Canada to NY first. I'm sure NY would want some tax $$$? Got to have the correct papers from the border crossing authorizes. Can you imagine when the Canadian owner goes home without towing the boat a short time later?
    I agree, I guess I wasn't too clear. I should have said get a bill of sale notarized in NY, then take the BOS to a PA boat notary. NY would really want some tax money if they were able to get it. The people that I know that have done it say there is a process involved. They also used a broker that handled all of the paperwork.