Default Need Equipment Recommendations For Pontoon

Hello, although I just signed up to this forum I have read it for a while. A little about my boating experience: I have been boating the upper Allegheny near Kennerdell and Franklin Pa for about 15 years in a small 14ft fishing boat. I have also sometimes run my friend?s pontoon in Pymatuning for the last 10 years. I have no experience on the rivers around Pittsburgh (I live in the South Hills).

So, I was basically given a 22ft pontoon a few months ago. This was the same boat I used on Pymatuning. I have already gotten a slip on the Mon about 15 minutes from my house and am just getting ready to start the season. Since this boat was used on Pymatuning, I know I need some more lines for locking through and anchoring.

Currently, I don?t think there is more than 50ft of anchor line. Here are a few questions I?m hoping people can help me with:

- What type of anchor will work best for my 22ft pontoon on the river?
    - Is 100ft of anchor line enough?
    - For locking through, are two 80ft lines enough?

If there is anything else that might help, I will gladly listen! Thanks!

I can't answer the type of anchor that you should use on your pontoon. If you have 100' of anchor line, that will be more than enough. Most of the time, the river is around 20-30' deep. If the current is running, you will want as much line as possible.

For locking thru, you will need 1 100' line. You tie one end off to the boat, then you will give the lockmaster the line, while you pay out the other end and he loops the line over some hooks on the wall. If you are going up, you bring line in. If you are going down, you let line out. It's not as hard as it seems. I am sure others will chime in...

I don't have a pontoon, but I would want 2 anchors with 100' line (one for each side of the pontoon) and 1 with 50-75'. That way you can throw the short on on calm days and have all 3 if you have a raft-off to hold straight...

What kind of top do you have (hard top or collapsible canvas)? Reason I ask is the wind would affect you more if you were hard topped and couldn't be removed.

We have 22' wakeboard boat but put a bed sheet up for shade some days which acts like a sail when it is windy. We have used all 100' of line with a mushroom type anchor. I also have thrown a danforth style with 100' if we are tying off with others to help hold the group, or for fireworks where you can't swing due to everyone else around.

Agree with 100' for lock thru, wife holds one end and I hold the other bow/stern.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Indmar Assault 5.7L 325 HP
    "One More Hour"

I love my digger anchor. It has an enormous amount of bite and has the ability to unfold when you get hung up. I have had it stuck twice on the Allegheny and both times the anchor unlocking allowed me to save it. You never know what you are going to hook onto down below. The other way of thinking, there is not guarantee that your anchor is always going to come back up no matter what kind you have.
    2005 Sea Ray Sundeck 240
    ~Living the dream at Raystown, Cheat, Deep Creek, Loyalhanna, Yough and the 3 Rivers~

JZelt, I have a collapsible canvas type top that we use sometimes. I can see how that will act as a huge kite on a windy day.

Here is one more question on anchor rope: Is there a big difference between 3/8" and 1/2" diameter? I've been told that the heavier 1/2 inch is easier on your hands.

There actually is. It is recommended for every 9' of boat you need 1/8" diameter of rope. The reason is that it has to be able to strech. When you are in the wind or current, the rope acts like a bungee cord and stretches so that you don't loose your anchor setting. I use 3/8 with no problem at all on a 24' ski boat. You can make things more confusing by adding a few feet of chain to your anchor to also keep it laying low on the bottom of the lake or river.

1/2" rope would probably not give at all on a 22' pontoon
    2005 Sea Ray Sundeck 240
    ~Living the dream at Raystown, Cheat, Deep Creek, Loyalhanna, Yough and the 3 Rivers~

Get a Richter anchor. I had one for my 20' pontoon. They have 5 spikes and easily pull out from rocks.

[IMG][/IMG]