Thread: Thunder

Default Thunder

I dont want to say it too loud but so far the weather and river are both looking like they are going to cooperate for the first time in what? 6 years maybe?
    The only thing that works on an old boat is the owner

Keeping our fingers crossed!

I've been up the river to Cincinnati, Wheeling, Steubenville and Pittsburgh recently, and there isn't much snow to melt this year. The ground is a little moist still, so we still get little spikes in the levels when it rains. I was just commenting this afternoon that the central US is forecast to get up to 8" of rain by Sunday. Had that been over the Ohio River watershed, we'd be flooded out again. All we need is one more week of good weather!
    "Escape Pod" Boston Whaler 180 Ventura

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Eric View Post
    Keeping our fingers crossed!

I've been up the river to Cincinnati, Wheeling, Steubenville and Pittsburgh recently, and there isn't much snow to melt this year. The ground is a little moist still, so we still get little spikes in the levels when it rains. I was just commenting this afternoon that the central US is forecast to get up to 8" of rain by Sunday. Had that been over the Ohio River watershed, we'd be flooded out again. All we need is one more week of good weather!
    Everyones behavior must still good for one week. And we might have the perfect thunder.

Speaking of Thunder, Kevin Roppel is in desperate need of some more picket volunteers. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.boatlocal.com/louisville/...ket-boats-2016

Really enjoy the airshow but my time is limited this year and I am not sure how close I can get. Anyone know what the view is like from the down river side of 6 mile island or maybe a mile closer?

Not very good in my opinion. Youre going to need to get closer to the water tower.
    The only thing that works on an old boat is the owner

A few years ago we were around the water tower and could see high stuff, missed some lower activity, but was ok. Leaving from that area was easier than closer.

What a great Thunder! We went down for the air show and anchored near Jeff Boat. Water was calm and current slow and not much wind. Everyone around us was respectful and there were no incidents. Patrolling officers were doing their jobs and talking/waving to the people as they passed by.

I just got back from a long Pittsburgh visit. Figures we missed Thunder for the first time in years the one time it was perfect out!

It was all good--Wouldn't you know, I ran into a delivery captain in the 'burg yesterday who took a Pluckebaum down to Thunder all the way from the Allegheny River. The owner wanted to see Thunder and have some work done on the boat. The ultimate irony was that, with permission from Dennis P. and me, they were docked in my empty slip at Rose Island. Go figure!