Default Oversize Load Permits

Hey, Does anyone know how I would go about getting oversize load permit for PA and OH. I have a 28 ft boat and its 11 ft wide. I heard that there is a web site that you can apply for them. I plan on moveing it in the spring and taking it up to put n bay this summer. Thanks for any info

Default Permits

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/sw/permit_report.htm
    HERE IS THE PHONE NUMBERS FOR EACH INDIVIDUAL STATE.
    PA. IS VERY HARD TO DEAL WITH. OHIO IS MUCH EASIER. MOST STATES REQUIRE YOU TO FLOAT A BOND, WHICH IS NOT CHEAP. CDL LAWS COME INTO EFFECT, ALSO. YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. INSURANCE ON LOAD, TRAILER, AND TRUCK MUST COMPLY WITH THEIR STANDARDS.
    IN MY OPINION, YOU MAY WANT TO HAVE IT TRANSPORTED PROFESSIONALY. ITS REALLY NOT THAT EXPENSIVE. I WOULD BET YOU COULD HAVE IT DONE FOR AROUND 500.00 OR SO.
    IF YOU NEED TO GET QUOTES FROM TRANSPORT COMPANIES, I HAVE A FEW THAT I COULD RECOMMEND. GOOD LUCK.

Default My Experience

I would have to probably agree with Gsent above with the transport.
    I recently brought my 28 foot cruiser up from Georgia in November....
    Trying to get the permits was practically impossible for an individual...
    They require tons of insurance, USDOT numbers on the tow vehicle and so on..
    If you're not part of a trucking company or have access to a commercial truck, I'd have it transported...
    After trying for two weeks to get my permits with no success I finally just towed it home without the permits. (Without managing to get any fines actually) But then again, my boat is only 9 1/2' wide... 11 feet of width would probably be a little easier to spot as an over width load.

As for the website you're talking about, there is a website, but PA isn't included in the states that it serves.
    If you are still interested in obtaining the permits, I would contact a permit agency to help, they are familiar with every state (Id give you a contact, but I do not have them anymore) You could probably contact a local trucking company for a contact if you have no luck finding one yourself. One other thing to keep in mind is that wide loads are not allowed on PA & OH highways on holidays or Sundays...

Hope this helps....

Default Boat Trip

Better yet, consider going by water! That would be an awesome trip, expensive, but fun! And something to tell your grandkids about.....

Carol
    1959 Chris Craft Conqueror 40' "LouAl"
    24' Pontoon "Red Solo Cup"
    Port of Fulton, MS

Thanks for the info guys. Im a local class A truck driver for a living just dont have any experience with oversize loads.

I have considered puting it in at erie PA and cruisin over from there but i dont know if it woould be in the budget for me this year. We'll see when the time comes

hey gsent
    whats your take on a 9 1/2 wide boat on a trailer

You probably will never have a problem. It does require permits, but i would not hesitate to play dumb and just tow it. Tell me more about this new venture i'm hearing about?

I would agree... I towed mine 600 miles from georgia with no permits passed numerous cops and had a few pass me with no issue....(although I have to admit I crossed my fingers everytime one went by) as long as the boat isn't sticking out further than the trailer fenderwells it isn't really noticable that it's over width in my opinion...

9. Default

Hi, do you need hydraulic modular trailer or Extendable trialer to do the ship transport???
    Manufacturer of Hydraulic modular trailer www.suprotrailer.com