Default Noticeable difference?

I am boat shopping once again. I see more boats are powered by a 5.0 than a 5.7. I have always been on boats with at least a 5.7 but I know times have changed. Growing up my dad's boat had a 233 hp 351 ford. Would I be let down with a 5.0? My last boat was a 20' ski boat with a 5.7. Any thoughts out there or experience?
    2005 Sea Ray Sundeck 240
    ~Living the dream at Raystown, Cheat, Deep Creek, Loyalhanna, Yough and the 3 Rivers~

As gas prices went up the marine industry shifted. Fortunately, they have been able to follow the automotive world and can get more power out of small displacement mills. But, there are still plenty of higher hp offerings out there. Be sure to sea trial what ever you are looking at. You might find the newer boats are pretty quick.

The real test is with a skier or tubes.... But that's not in the near future
    2005 Sea Ray Sundeck 240
    ~Living the dream at Raystown, Cheat, Deep Creek, Loyalhanna, Yough and the 3 Rivers~

As a rule, I would rather error by getting too much motor than not enough.. Might be why I have big blocks with blowers. And I still want more. lol

It all depends on what type of boat the 5.0 is in. If it is a 21 foot bowrider, it should be fine. If it is a heavy 26' cuddy, the boat will be underpowered. In a 30' cruiser with twins, you should be fine. I agree with getting as much engine as you can afford. You usually can't go wrong with a larger engine.

I`m with Cableguy Greg and Just a Boater, more motor is better. But I have a 22 ft Deck Boat with the 5.0 and it runs just fine. I have pulled skiers, double tubers and had 4 people on board and had no problems, but I`m sure if I put 1 or 2 more people on board and tried that it might of had a problem. On nice calm water and trimmed up just right I can get 48 MPH out of it.

The more cubes the engine has the more torque. TORQUE is what moves the boat or any vehicle.