Default Help with Overheating Mercruiser 3.0 - 2001

I have a 2001 stingray with Mercruiser 3.0, Alpha 1 outdrive. I just had the impeller and Thermostat replaced. I took the boat out for a run, and the temperature was fine for the first 20 min, then it jumped above 200 and stayed there. Pulled back to low speed and the temp went higher. then bounced around 200-240. Any thoughts???

If it is bouncing around, then I would assume one of three things in the following order:

1. Not getting a good reading. If possible borrow (or buy a cheapie at Harbor Freight) an infrared temp gauge that you can point at your engine hoses to get a better reading. http://www.harborfreight.com/infrare...ter-93984.html

2. Did the old impeller have any pieces missing when it was replaced? If so, were all of the missing pieces found and identified or is there the possibility of pieces being stuck further up in the cooling system. If so, a backflush will be needed.

3. Malfunctioning thermostat - I know that you just replaced it, but they are sometimes bad when new. You may want to check by putting it in a pan of water on the stove and see at what temperature it opens and stays open (see #1 for an easy way to measure the water temp).
    Dave

2002 Rinker 212 Captiva
    2008 F-150 to tow it with

Quote Originally Posted by 212 Captiva View Post
    If it is bouncing around, then I would assume one of three things in the following order:

1. Not getting a good reading. If possible borrow (or buy a cheapie at Harbor Freight) an infrared temp gauge that you can point at your engine hoses to get a better reading. http://www.harborfreight.com/infrare...ter-93984.html

2. Did the old impeller have any pieces missing when it was replaced? If so, were all of the missing pieces found and identified or is there the possibility of pieces being stuck further up in the cooling system. If so, a backflush will be needed.

3. Malfunctioning thermostat - I know that you just replaced it, but they are sometimes bad when new. You may want to check by putting it in a pan of water on the stove and see at what temperature it opens and stays open (see #1 for an easy way to measure the water temp).
    thanks I will give 1 and 3 a try. The impeller was whole when it was pulled.