Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anybody Interested in a Port KY/BoatLocal.com Lock Tour?

I recently got a million dollar tour of a lock on the Ohio. While I'd love to write about it, I didn't take pictures as some things should be kept off the internet for security reasons. I found the lock to be an engineering marvel.

Is there any interest in setting up a lock tour locally? I think a group of 10-15 boaters would put us in a great position to make the request. Probably a Saturday morning would be best. Anybody?
    "Escape Pod" Boston Whaler 180 Ventura

You should try the hand operated locks still in operation on the Muskingum a couple miles above Marietta, OH. Part of the original Ohio canal system and originally built in the early to mid 1800s, now operated by the Ohio park system.. I believe they maintain a minimum 7 foot channel which should be deep enough for anything we are driving.
    Last edited by 212 Captiva; 10-14-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Add info
    Dave

2002 Rinker 212 Captiva
    2008 F-150 to tow it with

Default lock tour

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Eric View Post
    I recently got a million dollar tour of a lock on the Ohio. While I'd love to write about it, I didn't take pictures as some things should be kept off the internet for security reasons. I found the lock to be an engineering marvel.

Is there any interest in setting up a lock tour locally? I think a group of 10-15 boaters would put us in a great position to make the request. Probably a Saturday morning would be best. Anybody?
    Yes , I ma interested in a tour . That is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 212 Captiva View Post
    You should try the hand operated locks still in operation on the Muskingum a couple miles above Marietta, OH. Part of the original Ohio canal system and originally built in the early to mid 1800s, now operated by the Ohio park system.. I believe they maintain a minimum 7 foot channel which should be deep enough for anything we are driving.
    I did the first lock on the Muskingum last summer. It was a great experience. However, be careful with depths up there. There are many shallow spots. After warnings from the locals, we ended up renting a pontoon from the municipal dock and taking it through as opposed to my Chris Craft that has straight inboards - no forgiveness there if you hit bottom!

While the old locks are very cool, I wish I could take advantage of this lock tour Eric is trying to put together. That also sounds like a great experience.

I second Land Lubber's thought, a lock tour is a great idea. Unless I have a conflict, count me in.
    Brondall
    Pero - Cruisers 2670 Rogue
    Prospect, KY

Count me in just let me know date cool idea!

I would love to be included.

Let me know a date.
    Chris
    Chris Morris
    Austin-Tatious IV - Monticello River Yacht
    ?- 2013 Malibu 24 MXZ
    T8TrTot - 340 Yachtliner
    Louisville Yacht Club

Quote Originally Posted by Cmorris View Post
    I would love to be included.

Let me know a date.
    Chris
    Hey hey Chris how you doin

hey there, I miss the boat, we are in hunting mode right now looking at hunting propety and really would like to be on the water. Just dont have the time and kids have Homecoming and "stuff" How about you and living on the river - you liking it?
    c
    Chris Morris
    Austin-Tatious IV - Monticello River Yacht
    ?- 2013 Malibu 24 MXZ
    T8TrTot - 340 Yachtliner
    Louisville Yacht Club

See my reply in Miss Mac III section Yes! Yes! Yes,

Hey Capt. Eric any movement on this event?

Which lock?? I've been through Markland and McAlpine..... I'm guessing you mean seeing the dry part? LOL I went to the visitor center at McAlpine a while back but never saw the lock controls.. At Markland you can see the old tower and walk through it.. Not much there but still pretty cool to visit! Just say when, That would be fun!!
    Last edited by SgtRollo61; 11-07-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    Jolly Rogers
    Regal 2150 LSC
    Capt.Ron... ( No really, That's my name) :-D

Hey guys, I was waiting to see how some family things were working out. We've had a few surgeries in the extended family, but with some numbers it looks like I can move forward on this now. I'll call the lock master on Monday and see what we can work out for perhaps a Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Eric View Post
    Hey guys, I was waiting to see how some family things were working out. We've had a few surgeries in the extended family, but with some numbers it looks like I can move forward on this now. I'll call the lock master on Monday and see what we can work out for perhaps a Saturday morning.
    Count us in. If there is any extra room can we bring 2 extra? That would be a total of 4 people

That should be good for us also! Sounds like a very interesting tour!
    Jolly Rogers
    Regal 2150 LSC

Well, I've been in touch with McAlpine's employees, and it looks like we should be able to set something up. Here are some tentative details:

-Tour to be either Thurday, 11/20, 3:00 p.m. or Saturday 11/22 10:00 a.m. They would prefer Thursday, but Saturday may be a possibility.

-Adults only--we can see more and get faster/better approval if we keep it over 18.

-Meet at McAlpine's visitor overlook, where most people see it from. Get the special tour from there.

-If you are interested, please send me an e-mail eric.grubb@boatlocal.com and let me know if you can make one or both dates. We will have to pick one and go from there based on the number of people.

-Social: let's move the party to a downtown location and go out for a sandwich afterwards for those who are interested. It's going to be cold out, so what a great opportunity to swap stories and recap the boating season!

To recap: here's what I need:

-Names of interested boaters
    -date(s) you could make it (Thurs 11/20 3pm or Sat 11/22 10am or BOTH)

Thanks, and I look forward to your e-mails. -Eric

I sent you an E-mail... Don't know if it went through.. Let me know if you got it.. :-)
    Jolly Rogers
    Regal 2150 LSC

Here's an update from Monday 11/17th:

-For starters, I've gotten everybody's e-mails from above who indicated they were interested, thank you!

-We could do 5 people on Thursday, or 12 on Saturday, which is better. Saturday requires the "tour guide" to make a special trip in, which he is not opposed to doing.

-Additionally, either date would require approval from their powers "higher up."

So, at this point, standby, and I hope to have more for you really soon! Thanks to all who expressed interest. The next update will be via e-mail to those on the list.

is there any cost for this tour?
    Jolly Rogers
    Regal 2150 LSC

Cost? Your tax dollars at work, so you already paid for it. Let's be sure to thank everybody there.

Edit: spelling
    Last edited by Captain Eric; 11-19-2014 at 07:29 PM.