Thread: Other Lakes

Default Other Lakes

Can we expand this to include Nolin Lake and Green River Lake? Anyone boat at either place on a regular basis?

Hello... I think we can work on something like that. We don't have those lakes in our database yet but we have talked about adding them. For the forums, I'm sure we can expand one of the areas to include them. This area could certainly use some discussions

I have never been to those lakes unfortunately. Is that where you boat primarily?

I live in Louisville and primarily boat on the Ohio River out of convenience. I make several trips to Green River Lake as well and also usually one to Nolin Lake. Green River is my favorite place to boat. It's wide, clean, fairly large and not crowded. It takes about 1.5 hours or so to get there, but I think it's worth the drive! It is a long day though to trailer down, boat all day, and then trailer back!

1.5 hours isn't too bad but I know what you mean - it can be a long day packing up, trailering, boating and then trailering back. I hate dealing with the boat trailer at the end of the day which is why I usually stay on the river too.

We'll get Nolin Lake and Green River added. Have you ever been to Rough River Lake? It seems nearby according to the map and I was just wondering if that is a good place to boat.

Thanks for the info!

Looking at the number of boaters and the size of the lakes, there could easily be separate sections for Lake Cumberland, Dale Hollow, and KY Lake/Lake Barkley. Another section for Taylorsville/Nolin/Green River may be a good idea. I'd love to see this forum expand to include those areas. Each has its own unique features, and the forum would be a great place to help other boaters who'd like to visit.
    "Escape Pod" Boston Whaler 180 Ventura

Regarding Rough River Lake, personally I am not a fan. I know a lot of people go there on a regular basis, but to me it is too narrow and winding. The only time I went there, boats were running 3 wide pulling tubes around corners on a narrow lake. That seems like a recipe for disaster to me. I am sure there are some great areas and great boaters, but it's not for me.

Also, I agree with Eric, a Taylorsville / Nolin / Green River category would be nice. Hopefully with as many boaters that we have in the Louisville area that travel to those locations we could get some traffic and interesting discussion.

I went to Nolin on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and the lake conditions were great. At summer pool, no debris, and fairly clear water. Crowds weren't too bad and it was a fun day.

I tend to agree with Jimboat on Rough River. It ranks lower with me than other lakes in Kentucky. But, having said that, I have a number of friends that have places there and they love it.

I had to go to Cambridge Ohio over the winter and saw signs for a place called SEnica lake.
    Anyone ever hear of that lake near Cambridge OHio?

I've heard of Seneca lake but never have been there. According to a web site it is the 3rd largest lake in Ohio. We should add it to our list! Looking at google maps it seems like there are a lot of houses etc on the lake. I wonder if it gets pretty busy on the water.

I should have mentioned to include Rough River with the others, so a sub-forum could be Taylorsville/Nolin/Green River/Rough River (lake). I know a lot of people who use those lakes, so the challenge would be getting the word out that we've got a forum for them.

Agree that Rough River can be a little hairy with all the tight bends. Great place to build a cabin, though. Taylorsville is very popular for Louisville because its so close. Nolin is definitely worth the drive.
    "Escape Pod" Boston Whaler 180 Ventura

Default Seneca/Senecaville lake oh

We camp where we boat and went there once late 90's thinking it would be a nice place to check out.
    They have "campgrounds", but they are permanent spots from what we saw.
    The only place we saw were some tent spots on the hill.
    The lake wasn't that deep that I recall, it is unlimited horsepower, and had catfish tournaments almost every weekend from what we were told. Lots of fish jumping around us.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Indmar Assault 5.7L 325 HP
    "One More Hour"

Thanks for the info everyone. We are excited to add more of the lakes to our database. The tricky part will be trying to define the different areas on the forum so it makes the most sense. We will definitely be discussing this.

Nolin lake gets my vote. I am a former Louisville boater now living in Cincinnati, but all the while keep the pontoon at our house on Nolin. I'd be more than happy to offer up any information on the lake.

Friends recommended Cumberland lake as best, but there are so many flood control lakes with clear water in the KY/TN area, what are the distinguishing characteristics of each? Clear water and adventure are our goals.

Cave Run Lake (Moorehead, KY) Daniel Boone Ntl forest.
    Can rent houseboat. Pretty dead during week when we go. Last week in June on their winter rate.
    Decent for fish. Nice coves and almost always a place with calm water.
    Weekends we pretty much just anchor and float, staying out of everyone's way most of the day, staying at hotel.
    They have a beach/swim area that we tie the houseboat up by and play volleyball, kickball, etc in the park.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Indmar Assault 5.7L 325 HP
    "One More Hour"

Rough River was too crowded for me 20 years ago. I can just imagine today.

I've fished all over Rough, Nolin, Barren, and Green. I liked Barren best.