Default Thanks Coast Guard......

Thanks to the coast guard, we missed the fireworks last night. My wife, sister in law, and I had gone for a little cruise in our 19' bowrider at about 5:00PM yesterday, with plans to return to our slip at Peggy's, go have some dinner, then come back to the boat to go out for the fireworks. As were coming out from under the west end bridge at about 6:30PM, heading downstream at slow speed, about 1200 RPM (and on the right side of the channel), a coast guard boat going upstream (the inflatable with the 4 crew aluminum cab) was just throttling down from speed about 50' away at our 10:00 position. The wake he created as the boat "settled" into the water was unbelievable. It was at least 3' high and seemed to well up about 15' away headed right toward our bow. We bobbed over the first wave, dropped into the trough, and the second one came crashing about 1' over the bow onto my passengers. They were soaked to the skin (as was the snap in carpet and everything stored under the seats in the bow). I ran my bilge pump and took gallons of water out of the bilge. We had to go back to our slip, remove the carpeting and everything else that was soaked in the storage lockers, cover up the boat, sit in wet clothing, and drive 30 miles home, missing the fireworks.

Now I'm not thinking I'm blameless here. Had I had a little more time to think & react, I would have quickly throttled up to raise the bow through the waves. But there were a number of boats running in both directions close by and I was running parallel to a 30' cruiser about 150 ft off my port side and had been for hundreds of yards. There were also several boats in close proximity going upstream so slow speeds were the order of the moment. I would just hope however, knowing that as the captain of a boat, you're responsible for the wake you create, and any damage it may cause, and you would operate within traffic accordingly. It was was just disappointing to have the evening end this way.

Saw the fireworks on TV late last night. Somehow, it just wasn't the same. So I would say that anybody with a small runabout like me, watch out for that coast guard boat ..... and stay away!
    johnnykuz

2008 Crownline 19 SS

I would forward this to the local CG office. That was reprehensible of them!
    Sorry you missed a great fireworks display.
    Tha Ark was built by amatuers...Professionals built the Titanic.

Also sorry to hear...I was chilly just standing on shore dry with a jacket on.

I didn't make it out on my boat as I thought the launch ramp at riverfront would be packed by 6. There was no one on shore when I got to downtown at 6:30. I watched from in front of Carnegie Science Center. What a show as I recorded it. My ears hurt from the grand finale. I don't think any show I will ever see again could be as great.

Finally, they (Pittsburgh) took advantage of the waterfront and viewing area.

And people showed up.

I watched people go down the walkway towards the river and for as packed as it was, I thought they went into the river cause I couldn't see where they would sit...

I did watch several patrol boats fly thru the "no wake" zone of the point off and on thru the night...However they at least were away from the North shore, but I imagine someone on a boat got waked. I also watched a cruiser go thru there to the Ohio at what I thought was way above wake speed past a patrol boat but no pulling over...

For as crowded as it was in front of me, I still could see everything but the west end bridge and thought how much better the view could have been from the water.

Safety patrol was on the Alleghany till way past midnight even though few boats were left. (I made several trips walking trips around the blocks from PNC to the science center waiting for traffic to clear out. Would much rather walk around than sit in the car).

Got some awesome night shots of the city from the shore while waiting.

I am amazed for the number of officers that are there, they can't get the traffic out of the city faster...

After the Indy 500 race, they shut down all the lanes and make them go one way...Why not do the same after games and such. Get the traffic out of the lots and onto 279, etc. Could have 4 lanes going 1 direction which seems safer to me should an emergency vehicle need thru. Instead of 2 1/2 hrs after the show still bumper to bumper...
    (Hey, last time I posted a suggestion like this about the boat patrol, it seemed they had made a change from the 4th).

Hope everyone that made the trip by waterway enjoyed it as much as I did. I just wish the photo contest that was just held ended after this event instead of oct 1.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Indmar Assault 5.7L 325 HP
    "One More Hour"

Default "No Wake Zone" at the 250

The patrol boats that were going through the no wake zone rather fast are always allowed to do so to enforce the laws. Thats like telling the PA State Police that they are not allowed to go faster than 65 on the Turnpike to pull over someone that just went by at 80.

As for them not pulling over the cruiser that was going faster than they were through the point - the No Wake Zone ended on October 1. It does that every year.

Good catch. I am only down there during the summer so it is just instinct to slow down and would have probably done no wake anyways...
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Indmar Assault 5.7L 325 HP
    "One More Hour"

Angry

i would like 2 thank all of u who went real close and fast past the cork factory after the fireworks the other nite. as we had 4 foot waves and boats hitting eachother and off the docks.. one houseboat in particular with pow flags u should come 2 my dock as i would like 2 shake your hand....

Default Waking House Boat

I would go get him if I were you ........... I know you know where he docks. Atleast make sure if you have any damage that you note it. The issue that you will have is to get the money for damages, you basically have to sue him in a civil case. The PFBC can't do anything unless the boater was less than 100 feet away from the dock, and then you have to testify in court and identify the operator, not just the boat. It is a pain in the butt, but I am sure it would be worth it to make you feel better.

If you know how to get hold of the local Fish and Boat Officer, I would do it(provided you want to testify in court about an actual law breaking)

Unhappy

I know what you mean. I headed back up the Allegheny in my open pontoon after the show. I had to go fairly slowly the entire way as we were freezing and the faster we went the colder we got. The cruisers blasting by me almost swamped me. They were throwing 4 ft wakes!
    Sorry to hear about the damage to the boats on your dock.
    Tha Ark was built by amatuers...Professionals built the Titanic.