Hybrid View

Default Solar trickle charger

During the winter, the boat battery stays on a trickle/float charger. I am looking for a solar version to put on the boat, nothing expensive, easy to store....anyone have any experience?
    Chad Gnadinger
    2008 25' Crest II w/ 150hp Evinrude E-TEC
    Tartan's Landing Marina

Anybody? Was wondering the same thing.
    "Escape Pod" Boston Whaler 180 Ventura

Stays cloudy a lot in the winter!... Not sure how good it would be in this area....

Unless you don't have power near by I'd stay away from them for the following reasons. They cost a lot. The output on most are not regulated. Don't expect these charges to keep the batteries up if you plan on using anything on the boat. While they sound like a great idea, I don't like them. I tried one years ago and ended up giving it away. Maybe they are better now I don't know because this was about 7yrs ago when I had one.
    "What happens on the boat, stays on the boat!"
    Captain Keith Leitner
    42 Jefferson

FWIW....back in the 80's, during one of the "energy crunch's", I was sold a "Solar Heating Unit". Pretty big bucks for the time, but was a total tax write off because of the Green aspect. Anyway, it was "supposed" to supplement my furnace by 50%.

As mentioned above, that was when I discovered that we have MANY more gloomy, cloudy days than we do sunny days. That thing did absolutely nothing to lower my LGE bill.

Three years later I had some serious lightning damage, and claimed that unit on insurance.

I'll give it credit though. It would pump some OK heat when the sun was out. It just wasn't out enough. Worked great in July if you turned it on.

So much for solar energy in Louisville KY in the Winter. At least for me.

"So much for solar energy in Louisville KY...."

I know its an old thread, and I started it, and I turned on my electric at the marina and plugged in the boat....... a lot changes in 3 years. I have solar at my house, 36 panels. My LGE bill last month was 13.13 AND I carried 221kwH into the next billing cycle. Does winter suck, yep, you just have to run the numbers and balance the system out to carry enough into winter in the ole LGE piggy bank. The utilities are scrambling to push legislation through to hold onto their monopoly. If anyone is on the fence about solar here, I advise to get on Wholesale solar website and do some research while you can still get 'grandfathered in'. I was able to get a 7-10 year (varies based on gloominess) payback by installing myself.

36 panels, Enphase micro inverters.
    Chad Gnadinger
    2008 25' Crest II w/ 150hp Evinrude E-TEC
    Tartan's Landing Marina