Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.boatlocal.com/controls/phpMenu.php): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 999 No Hacking in H:\root\home\boatnet-001\www\boatlocal\forums\includes\class_bootstrap.php(117) : eval()'d code on line 1
Nissan Xterra

Thread: Nissan Xterra

Default Nissan Xterra

Does anyone use an Xterra to tow their boat? My friends and I are going to Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia (6.5 hours each way) this May and are hoping to take my boat down. The truck belongs to my friend, it's a 4.0L V6 that's supposed to be capable of towing 5,000lbs. The capacity sticker says we'll have 930lbs to work with for tongue weight, passengers, and cargo. My boat is an 18' open bow (about 2,500lbs according to NADA) and the trailer weight is about 700lbs. We'll have at least two vehicles going so we won't have to worry about overloading it. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience towing with an Xterra, especially long distance, because since it isn't my truck, I would feel pretty bad if it broke. Thanks for your help.

Does the trailer have brakes?
    2005 Sea Ray Sundeck 240
    ~Living the dream at Raystown, Cheat, Deep Creek, Loyalhanna, Yough and the 3 Rivers~

Yes, it is a single axle with surge brakes, which reminds me.. Instead of starting a new thread, does anyone know of a shop in the North Hills area that will inspect a trailer with a boat on it? Thanks for any input on either question.

On paper everything sounds good. My buddy had an Xterra and towed his pop up camper with it once. He said never again. He was used to towing it with his Titan though.
    2005 Sea Ray Sundeck 240
    ~Living the dream at Raystown, Cheat, Deep Creek, Loyalhanna, Yough and the 3 Rivers~

Jim Kriley Sales & Services Inc
    797 Pittsburgh Rd
    Butler, PA 16002

Had them inspect our dual axle trailer with the boat on it.
    Very quick and easy.
    Listed as Butler, but really just north of 228 on Route 8.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    Indmar Assault 5.7L 325 HP
    "One More Hour"

Thanks all for the info. We haven't decided what we're doing but we still have until May. Glad to know there is somewhere nearby that can inspect the trailer loaded. If I take it the place I normally take it to, it can easily be a month before I see it again.