Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Remodeling a Boat

Has anyone out there remodeled the interior of a boat? We just bought a doozie of a project, a 33' 1973 Chris Craft. The interior is scary, to say the least, red carpet, blue and white wall covering and eeek orange countertops. My thoughts are to redo the floors with Pergo Flooring, hubby is worried it wont hold up to marine use. The countertops, I understand can be painted with Rust-Oleum stone finish spray paint then sealed with a clear coat. Anyone have any experience using these products on a boat? Anybody know of a good place to get new canvas made at a reasonable price?

Carol
    24' Pontoon "Red Solo Cup"
    Port of Fulton, MS

I heard Pergo isn't the best for use in boats. I heard once it gets wet/soaked it will swell up and never go back to normal.

Next year we will be working on the inside of our Nautaline - we will definately have to share info!

BTW- thanks for the birthday wishes! Stop and see us - we will be at Kelly's Friday night.

I think we're going to try the Pergo. Won't be anyone but hubby and I on the boat, and he'll just have to stay on the aft deck till he dries if he goes in the river! I'm planning on putting down an area rug in the salon over the pergo. I don't forsee any reason for major water to be in the boat unless she sinks! I'll definetly keep you posted on the renovation work.

Kelly's Friday sounds like a great idea, we'll have to stop in for a drink or two!

Carol
    M/V A Frayed Knot
    Port of Fulton, MS

Hello Carol

Suggest you call Kathy at Three Rivers Custom Canvas Works for information and pricing. She also does upholstery. (412 721-9021)

If you want to do things right would strongly suggest you get the DIY magazine. Best thing on the market for do-it-yourselfers. Kathy should have web address if you want it.

Same as anything else... you get what you pay. Suggest you do some asking around of those with experences in the area having canvas and upholstery work already done. Check out their boats if possible.

Good Luck

Default Remodel Update

Well, the aft bulkhead is torn out, along with 3/4 of the cockpit deck, and some of the salon sole. The tranny has been sent out for repair. The wallpaper and purple film on the windows are gone, along with the fabric on the walls of the stateroom. It will soon be time to start scrubbing and painting and replacing! Man, oh man I can't wait to cover up those eeek orange counter tops!

Carol
    Port of Fulton, MS

Default Remodel Update 2

The aft bulkhead has been replaced and fiberglassed, the cockpit deck is replaced and fiberglassed. Some of the interior painting is done. The transmission has been fixed and returned to us. The stone finish paint is working out well for the countertops, had to use a primer first, then the stone paint and am working on the polyurethane. Also doing the drawer fronts and cupboard doors with that. It looks great. (but anything would look better than that God Awful orange! ) The windows no longer leak. Some prior owner had drilled the drain holes all the way thru and into the cabin. Found the paperwork for the bimini top, it was a Taylor Made product, so we should just be able to order new canvas for it. So, she's coming along. Will have it hauled this winter to rub out the fiberglass and wax it, along with new bottom paint, new striping and replacement of the swim platform.

Carol
    Port of Fulton, MS

wow - you guys have been busy! sounds great! what did you use on the counter tops and cabinet/drawer fronts?

Sorry we didn't make up for the regatta. we'll be up though for lobsterfest. you gonna be around?

Default Interior painting

(forgive my spelling, my keyboard needs repla ed) I used Valspar Stone spray paint. We bought a kountertop that is a light grey with blak and brown fleks to use in the salon with two barstools, there is no dinette in the boat. So, I kleaned the original kountertops in the galley and stateroom with a degreaser, then sanded them, then kleaned again. I used a grey primer, then painted them lightly with the Valspar. The paint I bought is blak and brown flek, but Lowe's had lots of kolors. Let it dry, then painted on a klear satin finish polyurethane, sanded lightly, and more polyurethane. 4 koats of it. They kame out a little darker than the top that we purhased, but hey, it ain't ORANGE! Did the same on the drawer and kupboard fronts. Planning on painting the bases and framework all white. Also sanded down the fiddle rail, it's oak, and finished it with the polyrurethane. The pergo floor will be a light oak. It'll soon be time to buy furniture and kurtains. That's the fun stuff!

We are planning on making the lobster fest, so we'll see you that weekend. If you get time, raft off to JAWS and we'll show you the work in progress, it's at the same marina we are.
    Port of Fulton, MS

Default Work in Progress

We're ready to install the new head and Puasan system. Then we need to check out the fresh water system. The new inverters have been installed, along with new D8 batteries. Have one more coat of interior painting to do. We used white naughahide for the walls around the bunk in the stateroom and will have to trim it out with wood to cover the seams. The new curtains are in and need hemmed. We only have two more fiberglass panels to install on the interior aft bulkhead. Need to get the flybridge seat recovered and we should be ready to take her out for a short cruise this weekend! We will install the new flooring at a later date and get her waxed, bottom painted, and new striping after she's hauled for winter.

Carol
    Port of Fulton, MS

Natrona Heights, Pennsylvania, United States, 105597162807351, Natrona Heights, Pennsylvania

post some pics if you can. we have a 1976 33' chris craft that thankfully wasn't as scary on the inside as it sounds like yours was. from the sounds of it, it's got to be lookin' great!
    ~~live to boat~boat to live~~

Default A few pics

Great pic of those horrid orange countertops. BTW, that fiddle rail is a light oak and has sanded and polyurethaned delightfully. This boat, I believe, had galley up in the salon originally. A prior owner tore out the bunks and hanging closet in the mid stateroom and built a galley there. Which, I think, was a great idea. There aren't many cupboards, but IKEA has solved my galley storage problem with a wall rail system and components that hang from it. ie: dish drainer, spice rack, cutlery caddy and hooks for pans and utensils. I will be foregoing the microwave for a countertop convection oven (cause I like meatloaf!). The whole interior will be light and bright, and easy to clean. We have added a countertop to the starboard wall in the salon, there will be an extra (read BEER) fridge and two barstools under it since there is no table in the boat. Hubby has made the fiddle rail for it from red oak. When I get a chance, I'll post more pics of the remodel, including some of the finished work.
    Port of Fulton, MS

Default Bad News

Well, we took the new old boat for a spin last weekend, all was fine at no wake speed. When we got into it, she came right up on plane, but there was a horrible banging sound coming from under the boat. So, it's either the carrier bearing, or the prop shaft may be bent. Either way, it has to be out of the water to fix. Ah well, we knew we were getting a pig in a poke. The good news is when it's all finished we'll virtually have a new boat!

As for the flooring, we thought about using Pergo, but saw some stuff at Home Depot that we think will work better. It's made of vinyl, and is flexible, it snaps together like pergo, but has a bit of adhesive where it meets. Also, it's waterproof, requires no underlayment, and was rather inexpensive. Will let you know how it works out.

Carol
    Port of Fulton, MS

Default Remodel project update B. O. A. T.

We all know that stands for Break Out Another Thousand........

Ok, so she's back in the water, christened, and still not finished. The banging sound last fall was indeed the carrier bearing, and the strut. Replaced one strut, and both carrier bearings, had both props reworked, sanded and painted the bottom. Buffed and waxed the hull, which KUDO's to Hubby, looks fantastic! He's in the process of cleaning the bilge............so, to the guy who had this boat before us, we found your screwdriver, and there was so much grease and oil in the bilge, the screwdriver still looks new. (shame on you)

The swim platform is done, hubby made it from "Plasteak", and it looks great, a little pricey, but forever, no maintenance other than washing.

Still need to get that flooring installed, buff & wax topsides, restripe, run cable wire, buy a new bimini top, put up the curtains, put the furniture in and move in! I'll post more photo's after we get the floor in.

Carol
    Port of Fulton, MS

Default Interior Before/After

Galley photos before/after. No more eeek orange! Interior is almost done, need to finish up trim work and install cable instead of hanging it out the window. Outside still needs work. More photos posted in the gallery section.

Carol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Port of Fulton, MS

Talking

the nuthut is getting a remodel also.. new bottom paint new teek wood custom table top swimplatform lights; step lighting soundsystem new tv etc.. all woodwork was done by me and smokey

Default If you need woodwork... talk to Nuthut

Quote Originally Posted by nuthut View Post
    the nuthut is getting a remodel also.. new teek wood custom table top.. all woodwork was done by me and smokey
    I had the pleasure of seeing the restoration woodwork on the Nuthut last week and I have to say, its some of the nicest I've seen on a boat by a hobbyist let alone a pro. In my opinion I can't imagine the factory wood looking half as good when it was brand new. The captain mentioned doing work for others so if you're in need and he's taking on new jobs, I'd recommend you check the work he and his friend did on his boat. If you truly want something unique and amazing, take check out his custom table top. I'm sure one of them would come with a hefty price tag, but I believe him when he said it has has about 80 man hours in it! Truly a piece of art and thanks again for showing me what you guys made, it is really impressive.

Here it is, almost a year and 1,200 miles, since the last update on the remodel project of this boat. The old girl made the trip just fine. A final adjustment to the starboard engine timing, one small leak in an oil hose and a minor fuel hose leak. The fuel hose could have been an issue, but Poseidon had our back. We FOUND the exact piece of hose we needed, laying on the ground in a parking lot at a marina we pulled into for overnight transient dockage! (I HIGHLY recommend pouring copious amounts of champagne to the Gods of the Seas and Winds when you christen your boat!)

We are busy getting ready for the return trip to Bridgewater, of course it doesn’t hurt that it’s been hovering at 80 degrees and above for two weeks now. (yeah baby it’s going to be a kick a$$ tan this year!) Finally got the striping painted blue, and we’re done buffing. Tomorrow she gets a good bath, and we’re ready to wax. The hull was buffed and waxed before we left home, but there were so many engine and transmission issues we didn’t get the chance to beautify topsides. (and she’s such a great old gal, we’ve treated her with some ~*~*~BLING~*~*~ ) I promise to post some after photos as soon as the waxing is done. She sure is a good lookin' old broad!
    Port of Fulton, MS

Natrona Heights, Pennsylvania, United States, 105597162807351, Natrona Heights, Pennsylvania

galleyslave, just wondering what your plan is to get both boats back. are you planning on selling one or do you have a potential crew there to help?

Since we are full time liveaboards the plan is to bring the Chris Craft home. We will stay on her all summer in Bridgewater, then do a haul out for winterization and new bottom paint. She will spend winter on the hard, we will drive back to Mississippi in our vehicles and spend the winter on the River Queen.

We spent four winters aboard in Bridgewater and decided we'd had enough of the snow and up to a foot of ice next to the boat. There were many mornings my coat was literally frosted to the wall when I was ready to leave for work. And I'm trying to forget being rowed to my car in the dinghy because the river was flooded and we could not walk to shore from the docks.

As for crew, that would be hubby the captain and I am everthing from first mate to galley slave to deck swabbie.

Quote Originally Posted by lwells View Post
    galleyslave, just wondering what your plan is to get both boats back. are you planning on selling one or do you have a potential crew there to help?
    Port of Fulton, MS

Quote Originally Posted by galleyslave View Post
    We spent four winters aboard in Bridgewater and decided we'd had enough of the snow and up to a foot of ice next to the boat. There were many mornings my coat was literally frosted to the wall when I was ready to leave for work. And I'm trying to forget being rowed to my car in the dinghy because the river was flooded and we could not walk to shore from the docks.
    considering the snowy winter we just had, that's completely understandable!!! have a wonderful and safe trip back home!