Default How safe is cooking with a denatured alcohol stove in the cabin?

Despite the obvious danger of fire, I was cocerned about the fumes! I ran my stove for the first time the other day and had the cabin door open but the campertop up at my slip. How dangerous are the fumes from an alcohol stove?
    Mark
    LIL BUGGY
    89 Rinker Fiesta Vee 250 5.7 Mercruiser
    73 SeaGoing houseboat (under construction)

I would think overall they are dangerous, you still have a flame so I would imagine you still would have CO2. I also know the burning alcohol creates water which does not help the mold and mildew issue. What happens when you spill the fuel? Also, with a boat and gas fumes?

IMHO

Chuck

Thanks for the reply Chuck,
    We cooked chili in the cabin with the door open on the wall Saturday night. And I gotta say it is fantastic to use the stove. My only complaint is I don't have any rails to keep the pots or pans centered when the boat rocks. It kind of burns like a candle through a flat wick, not open to air, and when I filled them( on the shore at the marina) I did so to the suggested level. after filling I tested it for splashes and turned it on its side to see if it would leak and I couldn't make that happen.
    It burns crystal clear with no soot or any traceable smells or fumes. I agree that the burning oxygen would create excess co2 but I have no way to measure that. It sounds like I need to add a co2 detector in the cabin to be safe.
    Mark
    LIL BUGGY

Natrona Heights, Pennsylvania, United States, 105597162807351, Natrona Heights, Pennsylvania

Be careful using alcohol stoves as it's easy for them to catch on fire. My parents had a fire issue with one many many years ago in their Bayliner and I know of some people who have had issues with them recently as well. We use a one burner butane stove that is awesome. Plus it's small so you can stowe it away so you have more counter space! No fumes whatsoever. Just some food for thought...
    ~~live to boat~boat to live~~

Thanks lwells, I see why they do have issues, the can that's holds the alcohol sits on 4 metal spring like fingers that are supposed to hold the top flush with the bottom side of the stove top which cantalevers side to side to allow larger or smaller flame. Anyway I can see that with the more time the weighted canister sits on the fingers the more chance there is for space in between, which will allow the underside of the stove to accept the flames. filling the canisters in the boat is askin for trouble, all in all I love the stove, and I guess you just gotta be careful when using. I like the idea of butane as well

Sorry that was long winded, I did the best I could explaining how it works.
    Hope it helps
    Last edited by lil buggy; 10-12-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    Mark
    LIL BUGGY

I did a lot of cooking in a crock pot when we traveled. We had two inverters on the boat, one large enough to handle the coffee pot at 2000W and a 750W that had no trouble running an 85W crock pot. I always set it down inside my galley sink in case we got waked and it was great to have dinner ready when we got to our destination.
    1959 Chris Craft Conqueror 40' "LouAl"
    24' Pontoon "Red Solo Cup"
    Port of Fulton, MS